HF 34706 hints, tips, catcalls?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sasjzl

New User
Jim
Looking for a few good sympathetic Harbor Freight believers.

I am just about to wander down route HF34706 and have a couple of questions for the HF savvy before I take that stroll. I just checked at the Raleigh store and they do not have this lathe. Is my next move to call the Durham store or is it recommended to NOT buy one off the not very showy showroom floor and to have it shipped? Or can you have it shipped to a local store? The sales guy at Raleigh seemed to indicate that they only had on hand what they had and that's that. I had not yet memorized the model number so I could not quote it to him. I would think that shipping would be some real money especially considering the bare bones price tag.

Also, what is all this that I hear about coupons? Do I have to wait until they unleash a coupon for that specific model lathe? I don't know if I can contain myself that long. I had my first HF retail store experience today and it was like being 40 years younger and in my favorite toy store. Some of the stuff looked familiar from the local flea market at the Raleigh Fairgrounds so I do know from experience that all that glitters or shines orange is not gold but I wandered around like I fell off a turnip truck and ended up in Oz for the first time or about an hour and a half. $94.67 later I finally seperated myself and promised that I would never be back on an empty stomach.

Thanks,
Jim Lee

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
You will not make a mistake for the price of the 34-706. I had one and paid it forward as I upgraded. The one I paid forward is turning some awesome stuff posted right here on NCWW. It is a great lathe and many members here have one.

PChristy

New User
Phillip
You will not make a mistake for the price of the 34-706. I had one and paid it forward as I upgraded. The one I paid forward is turning some awesome stuff posted right here on North Carolina Woodworker. It is a great lathe and many members here have one.

I agree:icon_thum

pirate71

New User
Evans
I have a 20% off coupon from Harbor Freight if you want it. It is valid thru november 23, 2009. It is only valid for inventory in the store. If you want it, let me know your address and I will pass it on.

Evans

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Jim.

It is a great lathe to get exposed to the darkside with! I have one that I purchased two years ago used and it has served me well.

If you have a chance to look at the October issue of Wood magazine there is a full page ad for HF with a 20% off coupon you should be able to use.

They do put this model on sale periodically as well.

HTH

Wayne

Tar Heel

New User
Stuart
Jim, the 34706 is a mainstay in the Raleigh store, and I imagine all of the retail stores. I would not order it. Unless they told you that they will no longer stock that model, I'm sure they will receive some in a future shipment. I have one that I bought from the Raleigh store six years ago. It is a good lathe for the money. Call the store, give them the model number, and ask them to if they can check their pending shipments. You could always make a quick trip to the distribution center in Dillion, SC if you can't wait but I would only do that as a last resort.

Robert Arrowood

New User
Robert Arrowood
I thought they had a dist. center out that way.:icon_scra:dontknow:.I just went to google hf.When I keyed in harbor "harbor freight coupons" came up in the drop down.

Last edited:

NCTurner

Gary
Corporate Member
Jim,

First words of WARNING the lathe is the cheap part of the Darkside!

This is a good starter lathe, and depending what your are wanting to do can be a great lathe. Earl and others on the forum make these things shine. A couple of points of interest: these are really spindle lathes with a minimum speed of 600 RPM's any bowl turning will need to be done with fairly balanced stock, they are great for pens and stoppers, and spindle work. I used mine a good bit for bowls, as have others so it is doable. I strongly suggest that you add some ballast in the form of sand bags to the stand, but do not let that fool you into thinking you are good to go to turn larger out of round blanks, the headstock on this lathe is only so stable. Raleigh store almost always has these so yes you should wait till they are stocked, I would double check, by calling again tomorrow with the item #. DO use a coupon, and I suggest spending a few bucks on at least a 1 yr warranty. I sold mine to Robert Arrowood after getting my Mustard Mistress. He should be getting it this Sun, but I had a few problems and was able to take it back so Roberts will be brand new in the box(BTW Robert have fun putting it together:gar-Bi) Earl has done some great mods to his, so you may want to shoot him a PM, in fact here is a thread that I had started after getting mine witha bunch of his mods posted in it. I think that is enough rambling....besides LOML is calling me for dinner.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
You will not make a mistake for the price of the 34-706. I had one and paid it forward as I upgraded. The one I paid forward is turning some awesome stuff posted right here on North Carolina Woodworker. It is a great lathe and many members here have one.

+1...great minds think alike, I think we upgraded the same too...what's your Mama's name???

Dave:)

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
+1...great minds think alike, I think we upgraded the same too...what's your Mama's name???

Dave:)

Mary, that is also my mother in law's name, and before you ask; they aren't the same person:nah::nah::no::no:.

Last edited:

Robert Arrowood

New User
Robert Arrowood
Jim,

First words of WARNING the lathe is the cheap part of the Darkside!

This is a good starter lathe, and depending what your are wanting to do can be a great lathe. Earl and others on the forum make these things shine. A couple of points of interest: these are really spindle lathes with a minimum speed of 600 RPM's any bowl turning will need to be done with fairly balanced stock, they are great for pens and stoppers, and spindle work. I used mine a good bit for bowls, as have others so it is doable. I strongly suggest that you add some ballast in the form of sand bags to the stand, but do not let that fool you into thinking you are good to go to turn larger out of round blanks, the headstock on this lathe is only so stable. Raleigh store almost always has these so yes you should wait till they are stocked, I would double check, by calling again tomorrow with the item #. DO use a coupon, and I suggest spending a few bucks on at least a 1 yr warranty. I sold mine to Robert Arrowood after getting my Mustard Mistress. He should be getting it this Sun, but I had a few problems and was able to take it back so Roberts will be brand new in the box(BTW Robert have fun putting it together:gar-Bi) Earl has done some great mods to his, so you may want to shoot him a PM, in fact here is a thread that I had started after getting mine witha bunch of his mods posted in it. I think that is enough rambling....besides LOML is calling me for dinner.

Thanks Gary I'll check out the thread hear shortly.I'll give you a call if I need help:wink_smil LOL.Oh ya I'm still under the radar.

DavidF

New User
David
Another vote here for the HF lathe. I have turned 10" bowls with no problem. I did fit a bottom shelf and loaded it with as much weight as I could find around the place in the form of turning blanks! and the difference is like chalk and cheese. When I wanted mine the Raleigh store did not have one but the Winston-Salem store did, so a quick trip to them and the lathe was in the car.

MrAudio815

New User
Matthew
I am enjoying the one I received from DaveO. And have turned quite a few bowls and other things....

I do second what David F said... Load it up or add more weight to it, it does vibrate a little when you have an 8" or bigger bowl that is uneven in weight from one side of the bowl to the other, but as long as the bowl is even in weight all around, then it spins just fine.

Can't wait to see what you make when you make the turn towards the Dark side!

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
Jim,
The Raleigh store gets their shipments on Thursday mornings, I've always been told to call on Thursday afternoons to see if items came in. +1 for the 34706 as a starting lathe, +1 also for there turning tool sets, ecpecially on sale.

erasmussen

New User
RAS
So far mine has done everything I have wanted :icon_cheers
But then again I haven wanted to much from it:eusa_thin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors