Help. Woodpecker hole boring jig

Strom

Strom
Senior User
Got this out to make a mfg table out of my saw out feed.
First off the brass bushing would not go in my Festool OF 1400. Called woodpecker and they suggested I make hole in router bigger🙀.
I made an emergency volley and shaved under a thousandth off the threads. It fit.off to the template. It will not cut a 20 mm hole. In fact it is only a little bigger than 1/2 inch up it bit. What the H is wrong here?!!
Called and emailed WP. No reply yet. Help please!

Strom

Strom
Senior User
Photos. Bushing diameter 30mm template hole 37. Router bit 1/2 inch.

Attachments

• IMG_0487.jpeg
    IMG_0487.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 55
  • IMG_0486.jpeg
    IMG_0486.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 58
  • IMG_0484.jpeg
    IMG_0484.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 56
  • IMG_0483.jpeg
    IMG_0483.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 59
  • IMG_0482.jpeg
    IMG_0482.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 61
  • IMG_0494.jpeg
    IMG_0494.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 57

AllanD

Allan
Corporate Member
What bit are you using? If you are using a 1/2 inch bit are you moving the router in a circle? Forgive me if I am off base but are you just plunging once in one spot? The bit circumnavigates around with the bushing so hole is bigger than the bit.

Strom

Strom
Senior User
Thanks Alan. Yes I am pushing router bit in a circle. Tried a full plunge then a partial plunge rotating router same result. Hole is about 15 mm. Not 20mm.?

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
Sorry Strom, it's likely just me, but I cannot understand what you are trying to accomplish.
I understand that you shaved off a bit of the baseplate to the router in order to make the bushing fit - right? Pic 2 makes it look like you have the bushing mounted.
The rest I do not understand. A 30 mm bushing that won't fit a 1/2" bit? 1/2" is only 12.7 mm - how can that not fit through a 30 mm bushing? Sorry this is not making sense to me. I also do not understand what the last picture is.
So if other people can answer, great; if not a little bit more detail is needed please.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I’m just thinking a 1/4 inch shaft with 1/2 inch cutter would give about 5 mm more diameter circle.

AllanD

Allan
Corporate Member
Hmm. I don't see how the shaft diameter matters either. The bushing is the thing that is riding against the hole in the template and the cutter head has a 1/4" radius from the center point of the chuck no matter the size of the shaft. Are you sure the router bit is a half inch? That would be my next guess. Or if you have both the metric and imperial set, would mixing up the bushings make any difference?

AllanD

Allan
Corporate Member
As I thought about it the two bushings are only about a half a millimeter different. Measure that bit just in case. Also are you sure you are pressing the bushing fully against the template all the way around?

Strom

Strom
Senior User
The bit is 1/2 inch. It is actually a newer design by Whiteside called a combination cutter.
I have tried two other bits and it makes no difference.
The bushing as has been said bumps against the template.
There’s approximately 7 mm difference in template hole and bushing.
I’m against the template with the bushing all the way around. The bored hole is not 20 mm.
I’m going to bomb WP until they answer .This is cra cra.

Strom

Strom
Senior User
Sorry Strom, it's likely just me, but I cannot understand what you are trying to accomplish.
I understand that you shaved off a bit of the baseplate to the router in order to make the bushing fit - right? Pic 2 makes it look like you have the bushing mounted.
The rest I do not understand. A 30 mm bushing that won't fit a 1/2" bit? 1/2" is only 12.7 mm - how can that not fit through a 30 mm bushing? Sorry this is not making sense to me. I also do not understand what the last picture is.
So if other people can answer, great; if not a little bit more detail is needed please.
Henry don’t fret my wife tells me she doesn’t understand me all the time.
Sadly I’m too old to learn new tricks. I’m not too good with taking , and posting picss
I only mentioned the bushing to say this whole episode started bad.
I was able to modify only the threads on the bushing.
The bushing or template guide runs against. Template made by Woodpecker to create a series of 20 mm holes in a flat surface.
Again the bushing is out of the story it’s attached.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Ok, I see now. If the bit is the right size and the template is the right size then the only reasonable answer is the bushing is the wrong size.

Last edited:

Strom

Strom
Senior User
Ok, I see now. If the bit is the right size and the template is the right size then the only reasonable answer is the bushing is the wrong size.
Mike when I was able to speak with WP last week they took off on the bushing but according to them I have the correct one. They make this jig in metric and imperial. I have the metric set . I'm going to fool with this thing some more today.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I just read the manual from WP. 1page, pretty simple, looks like no way to go wrong.

I suggest taking the bearing out of the router. Measure template hole, measure bushing, measure bit, do the math.

Something has to be wrong with one of the three.

Strom

Strom
Senior User
PROBLEM SOLVED. Note in the photos that there is a collar on the bushing. It would not seat in the Festool guide bushing holder flush. I was bumping the collar on the template not the bushing. I shaved just enough to seat it flush. Viola works as it should. Sorry I didn’t figure this out earlier. Thank you all for your suggestions.

Attachments

• IMG_0496.jpeg
    IMG_0496.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 56
  • IMG_0495.jpeg
    IMG_0495.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 58

mdbuntyn

Matt
Staff member
Corporate Member
I was typing that suggestion just before you posted. Glad to see that you figured it out

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS