Help with tool shopping list

Status
Not open for further replies.

tom hintz

New User
Tom Hintz
I am considering a few more tools and wanted to get the thoughts of those here as I will more than likely sell them here as part of my "equip the world" program. (no caps to show humility) I wanted to get the thoughts of the folks here on how smart thses purchases would be for me.

First is the Powermatic 14" table saw. Big yes, but I get asked about this thing quite often.It is 220V, single phase. 5Hp.

Next the Powermastic 12" jointer. I am unsure right now if will be a straight knife or helical head, it is 220V, 1 phase, 3 HP

Powermatic PM209HH, 20" planer with the Byrd head, 5HP, 220V, 1 phase

A Jet open stand planer/molder

And maybe a few others along the way. I have to decide about taking these deals soon so any input you have would be appreciated. I should be able to sell most if not all of these at the same prices I have been.

Tom Hintz - thintz@ctc.net

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
These make me drool ...

Powermastic 12" jointer with helical head, it is 220V, 1 phase, 3 H
Powermatic PM209HH, 20" planer with the Byrd head, 5HP, 220V, 1 phase

Trog777

New User
Trog
First is the Powermatic 14" table saw. Big yes, but I get asked about this thing quite often.It is 220V, single phase. 5Hp.

Tool man Taylor just ran through my house.:eek:ccasion1

dancam

Dan
Corporate Member
Tom,

How about some of the new combination power tools? Grizzly and Jet are both advertising a combo jointer (12") and planer. I'm sure there are other manufactures offering like products.

Just my .02. Thanks for asking.

Dan C.

tom hintz

New User
Tom Hintz
Tom,

How about some of the new combination power tools? Grizzly and Jet are both advertising a combo jointer (12") and planer. I'm sure there are other manufactures offering like products.

Just my .02. Thanks for asking.

Dan C.

I already did a review of the JET combo machine. I have considered Grizzly but just have not had the interest expressed through my site to justify that kind of an investment. Grizzly could be one of those that generates the interest by having them on the site but I still have to justify the inital costs and have not been able to do that - yet anyway.

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
Tom,
I'd definitely like to see reviews on these tools, but I wouldn't be able to purchase them (even at your fantastic prices) for quite a while. I am sure that we have have more than our fair share of people that would be very interested. Thanks for the great reviews so far and eveything else that went with them:).

Jimmy:)

Douglas Robinson

Doug Robinson
Corporate Member
Tom:

My interest in order:

1. Powermatic PM209HH, 20" planer with the Byrd head, 5HP, 220V, 1 phase

2. Next the Powermastic 12" jointer. I am unsure right now if will be a straight knife or helical head, it is 220V, 1 phase, 3 HP

3. A Jet open stand planer/molder

4. Powermatic 14" table saw.

I would also be interested in some of the bigger band saws, 18" and up.

Thnaks for asking our opinons.

Doug

Both the Powermatic 12" jointer and the 20" 209HH planer are on my wish list. I would prefer the Byrd® SHELIX® helical cutterhead. I would vote for them for sure.

Bob Buchholz

New User
Bob Buchholz
Powermatic PM209HH, 20" planer with the Byrd head, 5HP, 220V, 1 phase.

I have been looking at buying a reasonable planer, but if you keep it long enough for me to wear my wife down and do enough whining I might be able to consider the unreasonable. :wink_smil

MikeL

Michael
Corporate Member
Tom, are you planning on doing any more lathe reviews? And did you keep that Powermatic 3520 for yourself?

tom hintz

New User
Tom Hintz
Tom, are you planning on doing any more lathe reviews? And did you keep that Powermatic 3520 for yourself?

I know we will be doing a JET 1220 variable speed in the next week or so but after that, I am not sure about lathes in the future. I would like to but jsut do not have anything planned at the moment.

The Powermatic 3520B is mine, everybody stand back........it's not going anywhere!

walnutjerry

Jerry
Senior User
Tom-------I am not likely to do any more upgrading on TS. jointer or planer but-------maybe a PM oscillating edge sander, 1 phase 220, and 3 hp.

A good friend beat me to the punch on the last edge sander----LOL.

Jerry

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Oscillating edge sander, floor model oscillating spindle sander, 20" or larger planer, line borer, floor model mortiser ( you don't still have that jet do you), new style Powermatic drill press.

tom hintz

New User
Tom Hintz
Oscillating edge sander, floor model oscillating spindle sander, 20" or larger planer, line borer, floor model mortiser ( you don't still have that jet do you), new style Powermatic drill press.

I already have a JET edge sander review up, I'm working on the JET oscillating spindle sander at this moment, the larger planers are in the works, the floor model JET mortiser is in the house (and staying here) but reviews of it and the Powermatic floor model are already up and the I have the Powermatic drfill press and will get to the review soon. (It's a honey just in cawse you wanted to know....)

Thanks!

walnutjerry

Jerry
Senior User
Yeah, you got to watch out for those friends, they'll do you in everytime! BTW, it does do a good job sanding. :eusa_ange
Rob

I am ok with the placement of that edge sander Rob. Your need is much greater than my want. I have been where you are in trying to make a living at woodworking-----that machine is going to help your production a bunch. I wish great success for you.

Does this really belong in this thread?:rolf:

Jerry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS