Help with old sears/craftsman 6" joiner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Obxwoody

New User
Andy
Hello, I am in a little jam I have an old joiner sears/craftsman...the type with no adjustments for the out feed table. And I am refurbishing it or really just cleaning it up...and I took the motor apart too to clean out all the sawdust gunk. And now I can't get this piece back on correctly. If anyone has the same type and could send me a pic that would be awesome!
image.jpg
image.jpg
And I am almost positive it goes on like so: but i am just not sure...why I can't figure out HOW!!
image.jpg

Thanks in advance...

Larry Rose

New User
Larry Rose
Andy, I had one a few years back and might still have the part and operators manual. If I can find it this afternoon, you're welcome to it.

Obxwoody

New User
Andy

Mike thanks for your help!!! I knew it went there... but got ahead of myself putting it back together, and then scratched my head for about a week trying to figure out what I'd done wrong.

Andy, I had one a few years back and might still have the part and operators manual. If I can find it this afternoon, you're welcome to it.

Larry Thanks for your offer, I might still be interested as I've unsuccessfully found the manual online anywhere... but for now it appears I am saved!!

It's time to put it all back together (almost done) and get those blades level... I'll probably post some before and after pictures too (with better lighting than my "help me" pictures lol).

Again many many thanks!! If you have any extra luck send it my way, I hear I may need it for the leveling out process....!!

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I use a stiff ruler sitting on the out feed table. I set the blades kinda close and just snug two screws, then rotate the blade up to nearly touching the ruler.

Now, I rock the drum back and forth while adjusting the blade to just barely lift the ruler on both ends.

When I'm happy with the blade I tighten all the bolts and check again.

After I have both or all the blades set I check them all one more time and tighten all the bolts one last time.

Usually takes me about five minutes per blade.

Obxwoody

New User
Andy
Mike I got it up and running! seems to be working very well. I tried "setting the blades" and they seemed to be pretty close, so I turned it on and it seemed to be working great.

A few questions first:)
From a new standpoint I'd love to have had a workshop on setting up these blades and or maintaining them... I noticed almost no "snipe" when I was running the board through... I'm thinking it couldn't have been that easy and that perfect....weird...I don't feel like I have a clue what I have done...lol....

The belts for one of those old craftsman ones...are they unit specific? Or can I order one of those generic powertwist type of belts that are supposed to reduce vibration and noise, etc....? My belt seems to have a knick that I'm worried about fraying. (Besides not knowing how old/dry rotted it might be..or how long it will last...)

Manuals? Good resource for older manuals like this? or Scanned copies?

The arrow on the fence seems to me to be pointing backwards.... or maybe at the starting side...?? Any advice or thoughts on that, is that common?

Thanks in advance!!

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
We've talked about a workshop on machine setup but never had enough interest to go ahead.
if we can get ten people together we'll do it.

The power link belts are great, any good quality belt will work.

I found the manual at Sears service/parts, search Google for the model number. It's a PDF so you can save it or print it.

I never noticed an arrow on my fence. Feed into the blade.

DaveD

New User
Dave
I used to have one of those jointers. Doesn't the arrow, that's cast into the fence, just show the direction the head is spinning in?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS