Help with inlay

Status
Not open for further replies.

ebarr

New User
Wayne
Anybody have some tips for making a template for an inlay.

I wanted to dress up a pen box by inlaying a medalian on the top of the box. the medalian is oval shaped. I messed around with this for quite some time last night and really could not get a good fit. Basically because it was guess work by hand, using a dremel tool to cut and sand my template.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I have found that for most inlays, other than very complicated patterns or very minute sizes that a router inlay kit is the best way to go.
http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=1391

That said, I often will do inlays free hand by cutting out the inlay shape and carefully scribing the outline of it onto the piece to recieve it and then very carefuly removing the bulk of the material with a router free-hand and then carefully trimming up to the line with various chisels and carving gouges. Check your fit as you go, a little bevel on the back edge of the inlay piece helps it to fit into a very tight recess.

If you are wanting to inlay a specific item (medallion) I would use the trace and cut close to method to make the template. Or purchase a commercial oval drawing template and hope that it has one that matches your piece. If you are going to use a bushing kit then the template will have to be made larger to accomodate the bushing, you could scribe using a washer of the same size off-set

Dave:)

ChrisMathes

New User
Chris Mathes
I agree with Dave...I find it very hard to get a 'perfect' shape (ovals, especially) without a store bought template. I've gotten it pretty close, but always see my 'mistake'. The template gives me piece of mind....

cheers,
Chris

JohnW

New User
John
Wayne, I second Dave's advice. An inlay kit with a 1/8" spiral bit works very well for most shapes. Especially simple shapes. I would add that if you were just doing one inlay on one box the kit is what I would use. If I were doing multiple inlays of the same shape, I would probably take the time to make a template...

ebarr

New User
Wayne
Thanks, for the help.

I think the first thing I need to do it purchase a smaller collar. The smallest I have is a 3/8 that I use on by dovetail jig.

I may try to do the freehand method but I know what my freehand stuff looks like. NOT TO GOOD!!!!:rotflm::rotflm:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors