Help with disassembling a pen

Status
Not open for further replies.

gesiak

John
Corporate Member
I need some advise on disassembly. While assembling an acrylic Classic, I missed a step and missed putting in the bottom ring. I tried using the disassembly tool (from WC) to remove the tip. I was unable to remove the tip, I could not hold it firmly enough. After several attempts, I wrapped the blank in some non-skid padding and placed it in a vise. Two whacks and all I did was put some nice gouges into the blanks. :BangHead:

Can any of you expert pen makers offer any advise?

Thanks for you help.

John

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
Mine usually ends up under a bobcat wheel - they are good and disassembled then. I still have my favorite pen - the walnut one Clowman made me a few years ago - I'm on my second refill

woodArtz

New User
Bob
I've had this happen once. I used a small gear puller to remove the center band. Disassembly is not a sure thing. I've lost a few pens along the way because of disassembly gone bad. Hope all works out for you.

CaptnA

Andy
Corporate Member
Disassembling a pen is an art. Finesse is required and I'm not known for having a lot of it. I'm more prone to brawn than brains.
I've had good luck since I bought the HF punch set. There are I think 28 different size punches for well under $10. Having the right tool of the right size is a must.
That said, you have to know how to go about using them. I know a guy who drove a punch right through the transmission instead of pressing it out. ( hey it was my first attempt!)
You will have to learn how to hold the pen while you slowly and gradually remove parts without damaging them. It may seem tedious but taps will work where whacks will damage. It can be done with a little practice. Saving one good pen and blank can easily more than pay for the set. I was told to make a pen out of spare/ruined parts and to take it apart again and again until I had to glue the pieces together to get it to stay together. Then take it apart again. I thought that was silly, but I'm much better at taking them apart for the trouble.
I started to buy the disassembly tools some places sell but fortunately was directed to the HF kit in time.

gesiak

John
Corporate Member
Disassembling a pen is an art. Finesse is required and I'm not known for having a lot of it. I'm more prone to brawn than brains.
I've had good luck since I bought the HF punch set. There are I think 28 different size punches for well under $10. Having the right tool of the right size is a must.
That said, you have to know how to go about using them. I know a guy who drove a punch right through the transmission instead of pressing it out. ( hey it was my first attempt!)
You will have to learn how to hold the pen while you slowly and gradually remove parts without damaging them. It may seem tedious but taps will work where whacks will damage. It can be done with a little practice. Saving one good pen and blank can easily more than pay for the set. I was told to make a pen out of spare/ruined parts and to take it apart again and again until I had to glue the pieces together to get it to stay together. Then take it apart again. I thought that was silly, but I'm much better at taking them apart for the trouble.
I started to buy the disassembly tools some places sell but fortunately was directed to the HF kit in time.

Andrew;

I finally got back into the shop and applied your technique of 'less is more".:icon_cheers Several taps had more results than the many whacks that only resulted in my frustration and damage to the pen blank.

I also have ordered the punch set from HF. I will be using the 7mm disassembly tool from Woodcraft and/or some old appropriately sized drill bit shanks until they get here.

I was able to get the pen apart, however, the blank has been damaged beyond repair.:BangHead: I also put a couple of deep scratches in the tip & tip center. :BangHead: I may try salvaging them, but will probably donate to WC's bottom line and buy a new kit & acrylic blank.

Anyways, just wanted to let you know your technique works for me. Thanks:eek:ccasion1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS