Help w/Byrd Cutters- UPDATE

dancam

Dan
Corporate Member
I have a DW 735 w/a Byrd helix head. I've had the same cutter side in for the past 5 yrs and thought it was time to rotate to the next side. I took all the cutters off so I could inspect and clean each cutter bed. I then re-installed and ran a board through and wound up with significant ridgelines.

I then loosened each cutter and raised the cutter up to the beveled hole and then tightened it so that each cutter was seated in what appears to be centered in the beveled opening. I got the same result...significant ridges.

Any ideas on what I am doing wrong?
---------------------------------------
May 31st; I went down to the shop this AM and reset all of the cutters. I loosened and then pushed them forward and to the left and retightened. Ran a 10" cherry board through and it is 95% corrected. There is one ridge line on the right side...I need to go back in and reset.

Thanks for the input

Last edited:

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
The cutters should be set at an angle to the shaft. If you loosen it till you can turn it then set at about 20-25 degrees to the shaft you will feel it seat. Then tighten to 40 inch pounds.

Rushton

Rush
Senior User
Byrd says the cutters should appear offset, not centered, when correctly mounted. Do as Mike says and they should settle into the correct seating.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS