Help think through large cookie dining table

Status
Not open for further replies.

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Chris, others have made a good point about perhaps cutting it in half. Depending upon the amount of twist, it make make sense to resaw it into three thinner cookies of around 2.5" thick each, and use one of them for the table project. That would certainly make them easier to handle from a weight perspective and you might even be able to sell the leftover pieces and recoup some of your costs.

The center cookie of the three should be co-planer from side to side and net out a top around 2" thick. That would be my first choice to use if it were me.

You have several options to choose from regarding resawing it, if you choose to go that route.

Frank Seaforth is in Old Fort, NC and has a slabber.

Kyle Edwards in Iron Station also has a slabber, but I'm not sure if he is slabbing for others or not.

Jack Murdoch in Rolesville has a Woodmizer 1000 that should be able to resaw it,

and I'm good for up to a 6' wide cut with my slabber.

Whomever resaws it will have a bit of a challenge because it is already dry, and in general it is harder to slab dry wood versus green wood.

Just something to consider.

Scott

redknife

New User
Chris
It does seem like a lot of sawdust waste. If we do it I'd probably coordinate with you(Scott) and bring it for re-slabbing. Definitely have a broader perspective on the project with all those thoughts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS