Help selecting a planer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clifton

New User
Cliff
I need to buy a planer but before i do, maybe i could get some advice. My shop is going to be small as im taking over my wifes one car garage until i get my own shop later. Price is also an issue. Looking to spend maybe $500 on one used or new.

1. bench top or stand alone?
2. recommended size? 12,13, etc.
3. recommended manufacturer?

Right now im looking at a new Dewalt model DW735 for $575 new, but i want to make sure it will fulfill my needs for a couple of years. Could i possibly get a better planer for the same or less money by buying used? Maybe a stand alone model? What do you guys think?

ehpoole

Administrator
Ethan
In the price range given, the DeWalt DW735 is a great bench top planer to consider and many of us, myself included, own and use one with plenty of positive reviews. It is the best of all the benchtop planers on the market today and has held that title for a number of years now. Even many who own large stationary planers will keep a benchtop planer on hand for final thicknessing when they want a smooth finish when making thin passes as benchtop units excel at this, their only drawback being that they remove less per pass and do not handle extremely rough cut lumber as well as a stationary unit.

The stationary planers can be nice if you routinely have to remove large volumes of wood or work with very rough cut lumber but they do not typically leave as smooth of a finish during the final finishing pass, particularly shallow passes, as their toothed feed rollers tend to leave an imprint on shallow passes versus the smooth feed rollers found in benchtop planers. However, as a small workshop you will likely want a bandsaw to resaw excessively thick lumber rather than just wastefully turning all that excessive thickness into wood chips as we can always find a use for the waste slices we remove on the bandsaw. For example, if I have a 4/4 (1") thick board and I need a 1/4" board I do not mill off 3/4" of material, rather I resaw it into a 3/8" thick board and a roughly 1/2" thick board and then mill the 3/8" board into a 1/4" board. Later the roughly 1/2" "waste" board can be flattened and milled into a board that is somewhere between 3/8" and 1/2" thick and saved for another project.

If you routinely work with highly figured woods (e.g birdseye, quilted, fiddleback, etc.) then you will want to consider a helical/spiral head cutterhead to reduce tear out, though that would be challenging to come by on a $500 budget. Fortunately, if most of your work consists of less wild grain pattern and more typical wood grains then the only major benefit of a helical/spiral cutterhead is quieter operation and straight knives do just fine. But they can really shine on highly figured wood with wild grain patterns since there is no optimal orientation in which to feed such boards into the planer.

With any thickness planer, consider adding a digital readout (Wixey) for greatly improved accuracy and repeatability. They really do come in very handy and make it trivial to dial in any thickness you want with perfect repeatability, give or take a few thousandths of an inch. They are also handy for occasions where you need to remove a very precise thickness from an already thicknessed piece (e.g. If your measurements show that a piece is precisely 0.015" too thick, you just use the relative thickness feature to shave off exactly 0.015", no math or guesswork required).

If you do not already have a good dust collector then be aware that such becomes very important when using a thickness planer so that waste chips do not get pressed into the freshly milled surface, scarring the newly prepared surface. The DW735 is one of the few that can be used without a dust collector (it has a built-in blower), but even it benefits greatly from a proper dust collector to keep the mess under control (and a mess it can be if DC is not available). A shop vac will not cut it as the volume of chips when thicknessing lumber can be extraordinary and even a proper DC waste bin must be carefully monitored and emptied regularly so that it does not overflow and clog the filters and impellers.

Charles Lent

Charley
Corporate Member
+1 on the DeWalt 735. I've been very satisfied with mine. Ethan has told you about everything you should know about it. Snipe is almost non-existent with it. Most other similar sized planers will snipe the first and last 4-6" of your board. The 735 does snipe, but it's so little that a few swipes by hand with 150 grit sandpaper will remove all visible traces of it.

You will want to buy the accessory hose and barrel cover for it if you don't have a large shop dust collector. The first time that I tried using mine was in my shop with the 735 sitting on the workbench. I put a 2' long piece of 2 X 4 through it. The internal blower in the 735 made the chips come out so fast that they hit the wall 15' from the planer. I mounted my 735 on a miter saw/planer stand. Mine is a Delta, but DeWalt and Porter Cable all make a similar design. http://www.homedepot.com/p/DEWALT-3...FHEnqNoppEyCfNfObtYUsv4WJdUmO7Ld8aBoCw_Xw_wcB

I think the DeWalt is the best of the three nearly identical design stands right now. The 735 is heavy, so carrying it around by the handles is brutal. Mounting it on one of these stands lets you move it around like a hand truck and easily set it up when needed. A gas spring in the stand helps you lift the 735 and stand into operating position. When not in use, my 735 on it's stand is left standing on end in the corner of my shop, taking up very little space. Since my shop is small I do all of my planning in the driveway, and have a 55 gal plastic barrel that I use with the hose / barrel cover accessory to collect the chips. Unless the cover comes off the barrel in the middle of planning a board, the internal blower in the 735 will do an excellent job of containing the chips. DAMHIKT.

Charley

Jeff

New User
Jeff
My shop is going to be small as im taking over my wifes one car garage until i get my own shop later.

Hmmm, I'm getting curious about your confiscated garage shop and new power tool acquisitions which have their own footprint in that space.

Ok guys looks like ive settled on a gently used Powermatic 66 with single phase motor to match my house, a Biesemeyer 52 inch fence and an infeed and outfeed table. Supposed to go get on monday and ill post pics once i get it setup!

im looking at a used Grizzly G0500 8"x75" jointer. anyone know anything about this model? is it a good buy in good condition but needing blades at $450?

+1 to the Dewalt 735 planer and their stand which will make it portable.

A workbench/assembly table footprint too! Where's the lumber storage racks for your first 100bf?

The garage is 16' x 20' or A' x B'?

tri4sale

Daniel
Corporate Member
If I was buying new I'd go with the Dewalt 735, seems to be the best out there.

But, it is over your $500 budget. So with that in mind, check craigslist for some planers. Right now in the Raleigh CL, there's a Craftsman Planer $200 in Henderson, Ryobi 10" in Garner at $150. There's also a shop in Smithfield in the outlet center called Direct Tools Factory Outlet that has a Rigid 13" planer for $260. They sell mostly refurbished / damaged boxes stuff from Home Depot, some things are good prices, and the damaged boxes stuff comes with the manufacturer warranty (lifetime on some products).

Charles Lent

Charley
Corporate Member
Used DeWalt 735 planers get sold every once in a while too. Several have sold on our site. Be patient and watch for one to turn up here or on Craigslist. They usually go for $350-450 if in really good condition.

Charley

SubGuy

Administrator
Zach
I have had a 735 for about 7 years, it has never disappointed. I built my own rolling stand from plywood with storage underneath. Spring for the Wixey, worth it's cost 5 times over. Make sure you get the in and outfeed tables with it, they aren't perfect, but better than nothing.

ehpoole

Administrator
Ethan
I have had a 735 for about 7 years, it has never disappointed. I built my own rolling stand from plywood with storage underneath. Spring for the Wixey, worth it's cost 5 times over. Make sure you get the in and outfeed tables with it, they aren't perfect, but better than nothing.

To be fair, I have never found the infeed and outfeed tables for the DW735 to be at all necessary and have never sprung for them. I know some swear by them but my experience has been that they are by no means essential. The snipe produced by the DW735 is seldom more than a couple mils and disappears after a swipe or two with 120-grit sandpaper. However, for especially long boards the portable planer/miter saw stand I have it mounted on includes roller supports that can be extended to support the boards, but even so I have seldom had need to use them unless the boards were especially long or heavy.

But I always recommend the Wixey digital readout upgrade for thickness planers as they really make quick, accurate, and repeatable thickness settings trivial to setup. They can be a bit of work to install the first time (especially if you want to avoid the adhesive mounts and install it rigidly), but once you have gone to that trouble you will use it every time you use the planer.

SubGuy

Administrator
Zach
I don't expect them to help with snipe, I love them because they hold the short boards from falling off the machine when I am running more than one piece through. And as you say, they do help with handling the longer boards as well.

To be fair, I have never found the infeed and outfeed tables for the DW735 to be at all necessary and have never sprung for them. I know some swear by them but my experience has been that they are by no means essential. The snipe produced by the DW735 is seldom more than a couple mils and disappears after a swipe or two with 120-grit sandpaper. However, for especially long boards the portable planer/miter saw stand I have it mounted on includes roller supports that can be extended to support the boards, but even so I have seldom had need to use them unless the boards were especially long or heavy.

But I always recommend the Wixey digital readout upgrade for thickness planers as they really make quick, accurate, and repeatable thickness settings trivial to setup. They can be a bit of work to install the first time (especially if you want to avoid the adhesive mounts and install it rigidly), but once you have gone to that trouble you will use it every time you use the planer.

Clifton

New User
Cliff
Hmmm, I'm getting curious about your confiscated garage shop and new power tool acquisitions which have their own footprint in that space.

+1 to the Dewalt 735 planer and their stand which will make it portable.

A workbench/assembly table footprint too! Where's the lumber storage racks for your first 100bf?

The garage is 16' x 20' or A' x B'?

Garage is 16x21 plus i have a 10x14 building outside which is not climate controlled for some additional storage, though not sure i would want to keep wood out there. I put down concrete slab to put my outside building on and it has a garage door and a side entrance door on it as well. Right now i keep my beekeeping supplies in it, along with my riding mower. Still plenty of room left over though.

So far i plan on letting the TS have center of floor, with the lumber rack and workbench having one long wall and the jointer and planer having the other long wall. Ill cross cut longer lumber to keep it to workable sizes in the racks so it does not over lap the workbench i guess. Whats a guy to do, ive got to have a shop, and i have limited space. Necessity is the mother of invention right. Ill work it out. Ill probably modify my TS extension table to hold my router as well. I may end up getting a combo jointer/planer to save space even though they dont seem to be ideal until i get more shop space, which will be at least 18 months from now after the wife graduates and we move. Were planning on building a house and buying some land, probably ten acres or more and using the current house as a rental property after she gets out of school. Ill make sure I have a dedicated shop in the next house. So for now im stuck.

chris_goris

Chris
Senior User
It amazes me on here how many will buy tools based on their budget constraints rather than something that will ultimately do the job. I know we all have financial constraints, but the the money is completely wasted if a tool is undersized or too cheap to do what we need it to do. I believe this is why many woodworkers lose interest. There is nothing cheap about this hobby , that is for sure. while you dont have to have the biggest or the best, but you really need to define what you need a too do , before deciding how much you can spend. The functional requirements of tool will dictate the cost of it. Are you making birdhouses? fine furniture? cabinets? professionally? as a hobby? these things will usually dictate the size and quality of tools required.

ehpoole

Administrator
Ethan
It amazes me on here how many will buy tools based on their budget constraints rather than something that will ultimately do the job. I know we all have financial constraints, but the the money is completely wasted if a tool is undersized or too cheap to do what we need it to do. I believe this is why many woodworkers lose interest. There is nothing cheap about this hobby , that is for sure. while you dont have to have the biggest or the best, but you really need to define what you need a too do , before deciding how much you can spend. The functional requirements of tool will dictate the cost of it. Are you making birdhouses? fine furniture? cabinets? professionally? as a hobby? these things will usually dictate the size and quality of tools required.

Such is human nature and we all succumb to such thinking on some level now and then (Walmart is singularly founded upon that human flaw!)...and that is true of every hobby I know of. In amateur radio some people will spend $15,000 on a wonderful new top of the line just released HF radio and then complain when it gets damaged by their $30 Chinese power supply purchased off eBay the month before because they chose to save money on their power supply in the belief that all power supplies are necessarily the same regardless of type, price point or construction quality. Everyone falls for such now and then, but especially when first starting out as then one often knows no better.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I need to buy a planer but before i do, maybe i could get some advice. My shop is going to be small as I'm taking over my wifes one car garage until i get my own shop later. Price is also an issue. Looking to spend maybe $500 on one used or new.

1. bench top or stand alone?
2. recommended size? 12,13, etc.
3. recommended manufacturer?

Right now im looking at a new Dewalt model DW735 for $575 new, but i want to make sure it will fulfill my needs for a couple of years. Could i possibly get a better planer for the same or less money by buying used? Maybe a stand alone model? What do you guys think?

Shop is small, asking for advise so obviously not a professional, needs something to get by for a couple years, has a reasonable budget for a beginning hobbyist. Seems to set the tone of the discussion quite well.

I have had three different lunchbox planers and one much too large 15" planer in the past 10 years. Each of the lunchbox would have done fine for my work and all three are still working... somewhere. I sold the 15" because it was enormously too large for my shop, I only got it because I thought bigger would be better and it was a good price. I passed along the good price to someone with more room. Now I have the DeWalt 733, a discontinued model but the one that suits me best.

If I had to buy new and had more space I would get a Grizzly with a true spiral head.

But for now and the foreseeable future I am being happy with what I have.

Oh, the best deal was a used Craftsman for $90 that worked and still works great, not counting the free Delta which also works great.

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
I also have a 735 and it has done the work I need it to do since ~2005. I mainly plane rough cut pieces and my blades last a long time. The blades are double sided and can not be sharpened but can be repositioned laterally to cancel out any nicks. They had a recall on a bad sprocket/linkage and roller in it so if you're looking at an older one it will need to get some parts replaced by DW if not already done. You can't go wrong with the 735 unless you plan to do large scale woodworking.

Clifton

New User
Cliff
well for $129 less than the cost of the Dewalt DW735X I picked up this beautiful vintage Parks 12" Planer with a 2 hp GE motor and an extra set of blades, set to 220v outlet. When i got there to pick it up we ran some wood through it, im pretty sure you could run a full size water buffalo through this thing without it choking. This should serve me for years to come without the worry of a plastic planer breaking on me. Now the quest for a good jointer continues!

vintage_parks_12inch_planer.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS