Help Me Spend Some Money

Status
Not open for further replies.

crokett

New User
David
After we pay some other bills I will have 400ish bucks from my bonus to do whatever I want with. I've more or less decided to get myself set up for turning. I will be bringing the lathe over from my Dad's house.

I am planning on getting this:
http://www.pennstateind.com/store/LCGRIND4.html

Wanted some recommendations on a decent set of starter tools, or if I decide to buy separately, which ones? I am looking for something in between Sorbys and the 9.00 HF special. Ideally I have enough left over after the tools to get calipers, etc. I am planning on turning both spindles and bowls and eventually pens.

Something like this?
http://www.pennstateind.com/store/LCAN6S.html?mybuyscid=7046120284

If I were to get something like this, what would I do with them? Would just getting HSS tools be better?
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=38886

aplpickr

New User
Bill
Skip the third item. The vortex of spending money has no bottom. Most chisel sets contain tools that you will never use. This one is pretty good however. I would change the oval skew for a straight one. A setup for pen turning, with five kits, will set you back about one fourth of your money. Do not buy many extras, until you know what you really want to do. Harbor Freight tools are not as good quality as others. One tenth of one percent difference in alloys makes a TREMENDOUS difference in ability to hold an edge! When the edge sees a mile of wood to cut in a few moments, EDGE quality is important! You can live with cheap bench chisels, but not turning chisels. I started with a skew, bowl gouge, and a 1" scraper. Many tools can be substituted for others if money is tight. Join a local turning club. Take lessons.

Splinter

New User
Dolan Brown
If you want to buy individual tools - spend your money on these. You can make your handles for a few pennies. But you will need some chisels to turn the handles. Maybe there is another turner in your area that can help you out.

I have a set of the HF tools. They are okay for the money. Good to practice your sharpening skills. Penn States's Benjamin Best tools are better than HF but not as good as Doug Thompsons's.

Ruth Niles

New User
Ruth
I have to totally agree with not buying a "set" of tools. To start, get a med. or mid size skew (not the oval) and a mid size bowl gouge. I love Doug Thompson tools but do have a few Sorby I bought years ago that are good. The thing about Doug's tools is they are a bargain for their quality.

If you have extra money, a parting tool, 1/4" detail gouge and scraper and you are all set.

As to the sharpening jig from PSI, I think the Wolverine is better, it can be adjusted for a variety of tools a little easier and with better results.

Oh, you are just going to have so much fun!! :thumbs_up

Ruth

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
You will also need a slow speed or variable speed grinder with the proper grinding wheels.

Ruth Niles

New User
Ruth
Scott, I'm curious, define "slow" grinder. Do you mean the one with the water wheel? I had one of those for about a week. Of course, I had a copier for that long, too. :confused_

Ruth

sawduster

New User
Robert
I started with the HF set and as has been mentioned , they do not hold an edge but it is great practice for sharpening . I found Crown tools to be pretty decent and affordable . I found the best price at Hartville tools . As I have developed my skills I have found the tools that work best for me
I do pens , bottle stoppers, basic bowls and some spindle work and mostly use a roughing gouge, a couple of spindle gouges , an oval scraper, a couple of skews ( I actually prefer the oval skew ) a bedan tool and an Oland tool that FredP helped me make
I also bought a wolverine and it has made life much simpler :icon_thum
If no one is near to help you sharpen then it is important to learn to do that. Sharp tools make a world of difference ! :banana:
I have my wolverine on a standard one speed grinder and so far it has worked out ok

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Scott, I'm curious, define "slow" grinder. Do you mean the one with the water wheel? I had one of those for about a week. Of course, I had a copier for that long, too. :confused_

Ruth

Ruth traditional bench type grinders, pictured below, basically come in regular, variable speed and slow speed. Regular grinders turn too fast for most sharpening needs. Yes they will work but you have to be very very careful because the faster speed takes away too much material and they create more heat which could impact the temper of the steel.

base_media

Ruth Niles

New User
Ruth
Scott, that's the exact grinder I have, too. I had the real slow grinder with the water wheel and that was more annoying than helpful. I did use one of those regular fast grinders and, you are right, I had to learn how to sharpen with the tool barely resting on the wheel. I love my 8" Delta and have been using it for at least 8 yrs. now.

dlrion

New User
Dan
I got the harbor freight $10 set and it is JUNK... not even HSS.

I would REALLY recommend making an OLAND tool or two for youself. Earl and Matt taught me how to make them, and I think they are great!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS