Heater Plumbing

Status
Not open for further replies.

NOTW

Notw
Senior User
I have a small shop (single car garage) and for the past couple of years have heated it with a 8,000 btu Mr. Heater Buddy series heater attached to a 20lb propane cylinder. Obviously this heater is way under sized for the space and does not keep the area very warm in the middle of the winter. I was given a 20,000 btu Comfort Glo ventless propane heater and am trying to figure out how to plumb it. I don't have enough free wall space to be able to install it in a wall and it comes with attachable feet, so ideally I can put it free standing in the front/middle of my shop.

I already have a 5' hose that connects my Mr. Buddy heater to a 20lb cylinder so one end threads into the cylinder and then the other end has a 1-20 outside thread fitting to go into the heater. http://www.mrheater.com/5ft-propane-hose-assembly-1281.html as far as the connection to the Comfort Glo heater it has a 3/8" inside thread input into its regulator, so I was going to use this kit from Northern Tool which also gives me a shut off valve https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_38915_38915

My question is does anyone know of a fitting or a couple of fittings to connect the 1-20 hose fitting to the 1/2" FPT fitting on the other side of the shut off valve? Links and any answers are appreciated.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
If it were me, I'd contact one of the local LP Gas suppliers and get a 50 or 75 lb tank from them. They will then handle the installation for you and account for any necessary safety issues in the process. I've found their services to be quite reasonable if you're buying gas from them.

Unless of course there are HOA covenants restricting such where you live.

NOTW

Notw
Senior User
I'll have to check on the HOA covenants, the neighborhood has natural gas so obviously there are no visible LP tanks, but I'm not sure if they have a written rule about it.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
The hose referenced is the WRONG hose. You need a low pressure regulator and hose assembly. Agrisupply in Garner stocks them. For inlet on heater, you use a standard 3/8" male flare connector, which can be found at Lowes. F&G Distributing on Loop Road in Garner can also make up the hose and fittings you need. You will want to get to know F&G, as they fill 20# cylinders FULL, not 3/4 full like the exchange services. Tractor Supply and some U-Haul locations also fill cylinders full.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
Wow, if I had natural gas available I would definitely exhaust all opportunities to use that as a heat source. That is pretty much the most efficient and cheap source of heat available. Please pursue those options.

I envy your availability of Natural Gas.

NOTW

Notw
Senior User
Ideally natural gas would be the way to go; however, with it costing ~$1,000 to have PSNC come out and run a gas line to the garage and then a few hundred for a natural gas heater right now that is cost prohibitive. I do love having my house heat, gas logs and water heater on natural gas though. I was hoping since I already had the heater and the propane tank I could get it hooked together for not a lot of money.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Bruce, I assume you are referring to the hose coming from the LP tank? Is this the hose you are referring to as a low pressure hose http://www.agrisupply.com/low-pressure-gas-regulator/p/91051/ i worry about it saying the btus are so much higher than what I need. Also I get my tanks filled at BJs so they fill them full (and they do it for half the cost of exchanging tanks)
. Yes. They come in different lengths. As for BTU's, this is the correct type of regulator and hose for your needs.

Sp00ks

New User
Jerry
I can't help you with your install however, the last time I checked on having a larger lp tank installed, one company wouldn't even do it, another was very outrageous because they didn't really want to do it. The cheapest average price I found to have it installed was about $500. We get our tanks filled at Tractor Supply.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
I'd also be concerned about service and parts availability because your Comfort Glow heater is no longer made and the manufacturer (DesaTech) was liquidated.

http://www.desatech.com

You may be further ahead to bite the bullet and have a new heater installed (propane or natural gas either way). It'd be an early Xmas gift for a warmer garage.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
alright, so how about this hose, it has the connection for the LP tank on one end, a low pressure regulator and a 3/8" female connector on the other end? https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/p...-propane-hose-regulator-assembly?cm_vc=IOPDP2
This hose will work, but I would go for the 5' one instead. As for Desa Tech being out of business, I have one of their infa red heaters in my shop for over 15 years. Other than changing batteries in igniter, it has been flawless.

NOTW

Notw
Senior User
So I went with the 5' hose, garage isn't big enough to justify a 12' hose :). Then I learned that a 3/8" NPT fitting and a 3/8" flare fitting have different threads so to Lowes I went. Luckily at that point all I needed was an adapter that took the NPT to flare, hooked it all up hit the igniter button a few times and it fired right up. Thanks for all the help and suggestions!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS