Heart Pine Pens

Status
Not open for further replies.

woodArtz

New User
Bob
I just finished a couple of heart pine pens. Nothing fancy as you can see, but the story behind the wood makes it kinda special for my mother-in-law. The wood came from one of the houses on the old homestead down in south Georgia. They estimate that the pine was cut over one hundred years ago. The pens are a surprise for the in-laws (due to arrive any day now).

Attachments

• heart_pine_01.jpg
    heart_pine_01.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 185
  • heart_pine_02.jpg
    heart_pine_02.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 178

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I really like Heart Pine for a pen. The tighter the growth rings and curvier the profile, the better.
It's nature's Dymondwood.
Plus it smells awesome while turning.
Very nice pens, I am sure that they will be well received gifts especially with their history.
Dave:)

woodArtz

New User
Bob
Thanks everyone! I hope to get my hands on some more of this stuff soon. Smells almost as good as cedar :) . It's pretty easy to turn and sand, but you have to watch for chip out.

nelsone

New User
Ed
Those look great and they come with a story! That's pretty cool.

If you are getting some more of the wood, I suggest you try making a euro. They are a much more substantial pen and are just about as easy as the slimline (easier once you get the tenon figured out).

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
Bob, I just paid some attention to your 'handle' and it is not just Woodartz as in WoodARTS, but is the ARTZ intentional, as in the German for Doctor... implying WoodDoctor???? Sorry, it's late, and I am spending too much time driving through intermediate accounting. or maybe not enough time, if I can contemplate that. OUCH!

woodArtz

New User
Bob
Thanks guys!

John, in-laws in town this weekend, but after that...:-D Might get Wayne to join us too ;-).

Wayne, I used thin CA as a sealer, sanded to 3600, then finished with Mylands FP.

Ed, euros are my favorite pen to turn (and my top seller :icon_thum ), I opted for SL since in-laws already have Euros (curly maple I think :eusa_thin ). I will have to do a Heart Pine euro as soon as I get more wood, thanks.

Pete, nein. ;-) woodArtz was an invention of ours for a unique biz name. :-D Danke schon!

newtonc

New User
jak
By the way,
I have taken your sharpening tips and tricks and plan on obtaining some of my own in the morning...as well as a new machine upgrade,I haven't decided which yet.I guess I will have to wait and see for myself in the morning.
john

Splinter

New User
Dolan Brown
Beautiful pens and with a nice history. :eusa_clap :eusa_clap Dozer made several pens for me last year from tobacco sticks from the farm I was born and raised on and now live on. My grandfather made the tobacco sticks. When I gave my sister one she had tears in her eyes from the joy of getting one. I'm sure your in-laws will treasure them.

MikeH

New User
Mike
Those are beautiful pens and the fact that they have sentimental value makes them all the more special.

Good job!

MikeL

Michael
Corporate Member
I have to follow along with the previous comments and commend you on these pens! It's great being able to use a material that has personal value to it and create something that renews its purpose. I recently did something similar with a pen and heart pine. They look great. :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Eaglesc

New User
Eagle
Beautiful wood,I have some heart pine and maybe some day I will try one.
That being said please take the following as a suggestion.
When making slimlines using the OEM bushings we have a tendency to make the pens with a wasp waist or corset waist.
In the case of these pens there is the desire to show off more of the wood.
My suggestion would be to get a larger slim line kit or throw away the center bushing and modify the shape a little to accentuate the wood.
Anotehr possibility would be to go up to a larger pen like one that takes a PArker style refill.
Just my .02

Gary G

New User
Gary
Beautiful pens!!! :icon_thum

I've made a couple of slims from HP and a few from fatlighter too. That's way cool, 'cause it's practically translucent.
I sent someone, a pen-maker, some antique heart pine; I'm excited to see what they choose to do with it. ;-)

Gary

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS