Harvey Woodworking - New Product Launch

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
When I wear out my shop made Biese clone, I might consider this system. Didn't say I would buy one, just consider one.

gamiller3rd

Pappy
Senior User
Got to appreciate the thought and engineering that went into this design. Overkill for my shop but still impressive.

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
Well designed, but I wonder if it really produces any better more accurate cuts. There is a reason the Beismeyer style been around as the standard forever. It produces repeatable accuracy that is sufficient for woodworking. If money is not a concern then, yeah- be fun to have.

chris_goris

Chris
Senior User
Well designed, but I wonder if it really produces any better more accurate cuts.
I would say overdesigned, but thats just my opinion and doubtful as to accuracy. The biesemeyer T square style is extremely rigid. It seems to me if youre deflecting the outboard side of your rip fence, youre doin it wrong!

Chaz

Chaz
Senior User
I was thinking the other day, about how nice it would be to have a more precise fence on my table saw.....

Warped Woodwerks

Senior User
Used a straight edge (DIN 875/0) on my SS fence, just now, and I can see slight "waves" in the laminate, if you will. Not extreme, but wish it was more straight\flat. I wonder how the other fences are, with regards to their aluminum extruded fences (Incra, Harvey (hi-low, etc.). If they too are slightly off (not straight\flat), well, then financially, imo, both wouldn't be worth the $$$ or considered an "upgrade."

I am not sure if the waviness of my SS fence laminate is more visual or what, but when I rip stuff... the overall width at the front & back of the piece is pretty true, so, I guess the fence is ok.

Maybe this Harvey is better for people that don't have a Biesemeyer style fence and want to upgrade to something nice\er? Still, spending the following is an extremely hard pill to swallow:

Subtotal
$1,049.00
Shipping: $116.96
Estimated taxes: $84.54
Total: $1,250.50

Umm... yeah... no thanks.

Just found the Harvey's new fence pretty cool and liked the micro adjust. It would be nice if my SS fence had that option built-in (heck, even other manufacturers), but not worth the big bucks to upgrade, imo. For $500-ish, not $1,250, I'd rather go Incra, since it has been around for awhile and is proven and can do quick precision & repeatable cuts. Maybe when the Harvey has been in the wild, for 1+ years, and comes down to the $650-$700 (out the door)range, I'd consider this a little more, but $1,050 + tax & shipping? Pass.

Echd

C
User
Used a straight edge (DIN 875/0) on my SS fence, just now, and I can see slight "waves" in the laminate, if you will. Not extreme, but wish it was more straight\flat. I wonder how the other fences are, with regards to their aluminum extruded fences (Incra, Harvey (hi-low, etc.). If they too are slightly off (not straight\flat), well, then financially, imo, both wouldn't be worth the $$$ or considered an "upgrade."

I am not sure if the waviness of my SS fence laminate is more visual or what, but when I rip stuff... the overall width at the front & back of the piece is pretty true, so, I guess the fence is ok.

Maybe this Harvey is better for people that don't have a Biesemeyer style fence and want to upgrade to something nice\er? Still, spending the following is an extremely hard pill to swallow:

Subtotal
$1,049.00
Shipping: $116.96
Estimated taxes: $84.54
Total: $1,250.50

Umm... yeah... no thanks.

Just found the Harvey's new fence pretty cool and liked the micro adjust. It would be nice if my SS fence had that option built-in (heck, even other manufacturers), but not worth the big bucks to upgrade, imo. For $500-ish, not $1,250, I'd rather go Incra, since it has been around for awhile and is proven and can do quick precision & repeatable cuts. Maybe when the Harvey has been in the wild, for 1+ years, and comes down to the $650-$700 (out the door)range, I'd consider this a little more, but $1,050 + tax & shipping? Pass.

I suspect your skepticism is well placed. Much of the Harvey stuff is very high quality, but sometimes I think their Bridge City friends bleed over and give them ideas to fix problems that do not exist.

There is some waviness in the sawstop fence, and I had the same questions you did, so I wasted $32 on a gauge to answer that question about how much it mattered.

With an intentional outward cant of about 0.005" at the end of the fence (per sawstop instructions it helps with pinching, and the riving knife takes charge midway anyhow) I see some spots dip to -0.007 and as little as -0.003 along the length of the fence.

Does it matter? Almost certainly not, and again, in any cut where the riving knife is used, it's going to be guiding the wood anyway. But it did sate my curiosity insofar as alignment is concerned.

Attachments

• 20230806_163738.jpg
    20230806_163738.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 60
  • 20230806_163819.jpg
    20230806_163819.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 59

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
While good, I find it lacking in a few areas and it is certainly not worth over $1000.

Over 10 years ago, I started designing a (better) fence after the IBox went to market, but got side-tracked by other projects and life. My design takes a different approach to fence placement, gross and micro adjustment (to .001"), and locking, than other fence on the market, including the Biesmeyer, Wixey (new WR750) dual digital fence, Harvey, INCRA, even Woodpeckers' new add-on Rip-Flip Fence Stop System, and others. My design can be used on either side of the blade without moving the fence face (like needed with the Harvey and Delta Unifence) or moving the entire assembly like the INCRA. It can be used on a tablesaw, router table, shaper, etc.

Maybe I should resurrect it, finish the prototype and see if I can license it. I'm sure it could be sold at price point much lower than the Harvey, maybe half(?).

And there is this, the "Rip-it" that was at AWFS this year. It is the second item in the video. It is so new they are working on getting Kick Starter financing and they haven't set a price point.

Last edited:

Warped Woodwerks

Senior User
That table saw fence looks pretty amazing.

Theor GoFundMe puts that table saw fence at over Harvey's price.

[SOLD OUT] Early Bird Super Special: $1,049 + Shipping. The first 50 backers at this tier get Rip-it at a 38% discount from the planned MSRP.

Early Bird Special: $1,129 + Shipping. The next 100 backers still get Rip-it for a great price, 33% off MSRP.

Kickstarter Special: $1,249 + Shipping. After the first 150, all other Kickstarter backers get a 26% discount off MSRP, along with recognition and appreciation for helping to bring this great new product to market.

Shipping cost is a $70 flat rate to anywhere in the US.

All aftermarket fences appear to be pretty steep. Things of beauty, with all of them, but unless you are making money off of your table saw, or have silly money, they just might be out of our reach.

Since the Harvey Big Eye fence is similar in price, to the Rip It fence, if those were the only options for fence upgrades, I'd probably go with the Rip It.

Regardless... Thanks for sharing!

whitecrane8

New User
Oberon
Rip It looks more useful for production shop, like kitchen cabinets, but would have to compete with current flip-stop styles. Hoping some of this great technology trickles down to an affordable range...

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS