Harpsichord Project Part 2 - Keyboard con't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ErnieM

Ernie
Corporate Member
Hi all,

In Part 1 we built the keyboard blank and keyframe. In Part 2 we will cut the keys apart and fit the keys on their corresponding pins on the keyframe. Cutting the keys apart on a bandsaw is quite stressful in that the keys are not straight and the cuts must be made freehand. Any shaking will result in uneven gaps between the keys which may or may not effect the functioning of the key but will certainly effect the visual look of the keyboard. So let’s get calm and cut some keys.

The first photo is a picture of one octave of a keyboard. Notice that there are 7 “white keys” (labeled C to B) and five black keys (sharps). A little study of this picture should make it clear that the only place we can cut completely through from top to bottom is between the E and F keys and between the B and C keys. So we will begin cutting out the keys by cutting between all the E’s and F’s and between all the C’s and B’s. This is like taking a 4 x 8 sheet of plywood and drawing a cutting diagram onto it to make the most efficient cuts.

KEYBOARD.jpg

The next photo shows the keyblank on the bandsaw. The first cut is between key #24 (B)
and key #25 (C). This cut is made all the way from the back of the keyboard blank to the front and will divide the keyboard blank into 2 pieces.

KEYBOARD13.JPG

The next photo shows the results of this first cut.

KEYBOARD14.JPG

The next step is to cut between all the remaining B’s and C’s and all the remaining E’s and F’s. The next photo shows the results of these cuts.

KEYBOARD15.JPG

The next step is to cut between all of the keys from the rear of the keyboard blank to the rear of the natural keys. The next photo shows one of these cuts being made.

KEYBOARD16.JPG

Now we must separate the front ends of each key. This cut is shown in the next photo.

KEYBOARD17.JPG

After all of these cuts are made, each group of keys look like the next photo.

KEYBOARD18.JPG

All we need to do now is to separate the sharp keys from their neighbors. This is done on the scroll saw and the next 3 photos show this operation.

KEYBOARD19.JPG

KEYBOARD20.JPG

KEYBOARD21.JPG

The next photo shows all of the keys. I think I mentioned in Part 1 that it was important to number the keys BEFORE cutting them apart. Now you will see why. I didn’t number them on the first keyboard I built 25 years ago and I learned that the keys are definately NOT interchangeable. For example, key #1 and key #13 are both C keys. They look the same to the eye but the holes we drilled into the keys in Part 1 WILL NOT line up if you switch the position of the two keys.

KEYBOARD22.JPG

The next photo shows the keys in their proper order.

KEYBOARD23.JPG

Here’s a closeup of several keys showing the eveness ( or lack thereof ) of the cuts. Not too bad for an old guy.

KEYBOARD24.JPG

The next photo shows key #1 on its corresponding pins in the keyframe. Obviously, the holes in the key are too small and the pins will not go through. This makes sense because we used a drill bit several hundredths of an inch smaller than the pins when we drilled the holes in Part 1 so as to have nice, tight pins in the keyframe. So the next step is to enlarge the holes in the keys to allow the pins to go through them.

KEYBOARD25.JPG

The next photo shows 2 keys and the tools used to enlarge and modify the holes. The top key shows the original 2 holes. The bottom key has been modified. Tool A is a little jig that has a pin in it and is used as a substitute for the keyframe pins. The balance rail hole (center hole) in the key must be elongated gradually from bottom to top to allow the key to pivot up and down. This is done by placing a homemade punch (B) onto the hole at the top of the key and banging it down until it bottoms out. The wood in the key is compressed and takes on the shape of the punch. Tool C is a hole enlarger that is used to slightly enlarge similar holes in the piano technology field. Tool D is a small round, tapered file which helps to enlarge the balance rail hole. Tool E is a small flat metal file covered with 220 grit sandpaper and is used to fine tune the size of the slot at the rear of the key. This rear slot is critical to the functioning of the key. If the slot is too big, the key will be free to move in the left-to-right direction at the front of the key. This is not good.
On the other hand, if the slot is too narrow the key will bind when you press it down or will not return to its rest position. This is fatal. What we need is the slot to be just one or two thousandths of an inch wider than the diameter of the pin. I don’t know of any way to measure this other than by feel. There should be no play at all between the slot and the pin but the key must slide without any resistance on the pin. The slot is cut on the bandsaw and is widened with the sandpaper file until the fit is perfect. This takes A LOT of time, patience, food, and a television set.

KEYBOARD26.JPG

The next 2 photos show a closeup of the modified balance rail hole and the slot at the rear of the key.

KEYBOARD27.JPG

KEYBOARD28.JPG

The inside edges of the slot are eased to an angle to make it easier for the key to find its pin. (When servicing a harpsichord a key must sometimes be removed from the instrument. When it’s time to re-install it the service person will not be able to see the rear pin. Angling the end of the slot makes it easier to do this.) The next photo shows this angle.

KEYBOARD29.JPG

The next photo shows the first 14 keys installed onto their rear pins.

KEYBOARD30.JPG

The final photo shows the entire keyboard installed onto the keyframe. (The piece of pine laying on the rear end of the keyboard is there to keep the keys down in the back. The keys have not yet been balanced and need this weight in the back to keep them level for the purposes of this picture.)

KEYBOARD31.JPG

The only thing left to do is to make some sharps and glue them onto the front ends of the sharp keys. We’ll do this in Part 3 (which will be a much smaller post than this one). Then we’ll put the keyboard aside for a while and start building the case of the instrument.

Till next time,
Ernie

Part 1 - The Keyboard Part 2 -Keyboard con't. Part 3 - Keyboard con't. Part 4 - The Case (Bentside) Part 5 - Case Bottom Part 6 - Case Sides Part 7 - The Lower Braces Part 8 - Case Finished Part 9 - Building the Registers Part 10 - The Stand Part 11 - Jackrail & Moldings
Part 12 - The Music Desk
Part 13 - Building the Benchhttp://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/f101/harpsichord-project-part-12-music-desk-18962/

Last edited:
M

McRabbet

Very clear explanation of the process of building the keyboard and truly fascinating! We'll look for the next installment, for sure! Thanks for sharing this with us.

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
You are gonna get some real great following to this series of threads.

mburke911

New User
Mark
Thanks for taking the time to document the process! I am enjoying reading about your work. This truly takes love and talent to complete.

Best,

Mark

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
This is truly very fascinating, Ernest!:wsmile::icon_thum:icon_thum:icon_thum

So......... I have to ask. How in the world do you get such a straight cut on the bandsaw? (My eye ain't so good to track a line that straight!!!:elvis:)

Keeping track of all of keys would be a major challenge to me!!

Thanks for sharing and I too look forward to the next episode!!!:eusa_danc:eusa_danc:eusa_danc

Wayne

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Thanks Ernie, this is really facinating. It is amazing that the keys you are making actually "pluck" the strings instead of striking them like on a piano. I can really see the need for precision for that action. How do you figure the BS blade kerf into your layout??

Dave:)

thrt15nc

Tom
User
Fascinating Ernie. What a great thread. I wish I had a thousandth of the patience you must have. Thanks again for this.

Tom Swortzel

nelsone

New User
Ed
Fascinating series Ernie!

On the slot for the back of the keys, could you not use an 1/8" spiral bit and the router table to cut that or are the pins smaller than 1/8"? You'd have to go slow hogging that much material, but it seems like it might speed up the process.

You've probably already tried this, but I thought I'd throw it out anyway!

I'm thoroughly enjoying following along!

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
I don't know about everyone else Ernie, but with your step by step's I feel that I'm ready to tackle my own one now:rotflm:. It's been very interesting and keep it coming. Thank you very much.

rcflyer23

Kevin
Corporate Member
This is really cool. I never new it was that involved just get the keyboard started on one of these. I am excited to see the rest of this build. Great job on the narration of the steps.

ErnieM

Ernie
Corporate Member
Once again - thanks to all of you for your kind comments.

Wayne: Many years ago I asked my mentor (Paul Kennedy, a great harpsichord builder now living in Indianapolis) the same question. "Paul, how do you cut the keys so straight and what do you do when you make a mistake. His answer: "Don't make a mistake then you won't have to worry about fixing it!" Great advice but easier said than done. It is something that you get better at with practice. I find it helps to look at the line slightly ahead of the blade instead of staring at the blade itself. Don't feed the wood into the blade too slowly. Keep a nice steady pace and try not to stop your cut in the middle. Also, plan in advance where your going to change your hand position (if necessary). It also helps (at least it helps me) to hold your breath while you're cutting. Don't take this last point too seriously if you're cutting a long piece.

Dave O: Actually the blade thickness is quite important. The space between the keys really depends on the thickness of the kerf. Too thin a blade and the keys will be too close together and may actually bang into each other during hard playing. Too wide a kerf and the keyboard looks like it needs a session with an orthodontist. I use a 3 tpi 1/2" blade (I think it's a Woodslicer and it gives me a kerf size that I'm comfortable with.

Ed: The pins are .096" thick so a 1/8" spiral bit would be way too big. Even if I could get a .097 spiral bit I wouldn't use it. I'll bet if you took a 1/8" spiral bit (or any other size for that matter) and cut a dozen slots with it you'd be hard pressed to find two slots that are exactly the same size. The difference might be several thousandths of an inch which would be of no consequence in "normal" woodworking but there's nothing normal about harpsichord building (or harpsichord builders, for that matter). Harpsichord building is a rather low-tech craft and I feel that I can control the width of the slots more accurately with a little sandpaper paddle.

Keep the questions coming. I'm finding out that writing about something is harder than doing it but I'll do the best I can to make my ramblings clear.

See you next time

Ernie

ErnieM

Ernie
Corporate Member
DaveO

I don't think I answered your question correctly. The kerf size doesn't effect the accuracy of the plan regardless of the thickness of the blade. Let me explain. This keyboard has an octave span of 6 1/2". This means that the distance between any two natural keys that are an octave apart ( for example from a C key to the next highest C key ) must be 6 1/2" This consistancy is vitally important to the player as so much of piano or harpsichord playing is done by feel. If you used a VERY thin kerf blade, each key would end up being slightly wider but the octave span would still be 6 1/2". Same thing for a really thick blade. Each key would be slightly narrower but the octave span would remain at 6 1/2". Take a piece of paper and draw two lines 6 1/2" apart. Now divide that 6 1/2" space into 7 equal spaces. If you use a crayon to divide the space instead of the pencil you used to draw the original 2 lines the 7 spaces would be narrower than they would have been had you used the original, thinner pencil. But the overall distance between the first line and the last line would still be 6 1/2". I hope this answers your question more clearly but I'm not sure it does.

Ernie

DaveO

New User
DaveO
DaveO

But the overall distance between the first line and the last line would still be 6 1/2". I hope this answers your question more clearly but I'm not sure it does.

Ernie

Yes it does. Thank you for taking the time to explain that.

Dave:)

Tar Heel

New User
Stuart
Fascinating Ernie. It looks as if we are all enjoying your pictorial. The precision and patience needed really is mind boggling.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS