Harpsichord Project Part 18 - Finishing the Keyboard

Status
Not open for further replies.

ErnieM

Ernie
Corporate Member
Hi all,

Very little on a Flemish or French harpsichord is undecorated – this includes the keytops. Last time, we installed the heads, tails, and bone sharp caps. In this Part we’ll shape and decorate the heads. This work requires a tremendous amount of hand work and is the main reason these keyboards cannot be produced in a factory. Here we go!

The first step is to address the head to tail joint. Strange as it sounds, we’re not going to try to hide this joint. Instead we’re going to exaggerate it by deepening the joint with an X-Acto knife. The reason will become obvious very soon.

SHAPING1.JPG

After this is done to each natural key, we’ll sand the ebony using 60 grit paper glued to a flat block of MDF. While the heads and tails are made out of the same material, from the same batch of stock, there is often a slight ridge at the head to tail joint. This is very annoying to the player so we’ll sand each key until the heads and tails are perfectly flush with each other.

SHAPING2.JPG

Next we’ll sand the ebony through the grits stopping at 320. (not shown for obvious reasons) Here’s the result of the X-Acto work and sanding.

SHAPING3.JPG

Now the decorating can begin. First we need to cut 3 horizontal lines, 1/8” apart, onto the top surface of each head. The first of these lines has already been cut. It is the joint line between the heads and tails that we just deepened. To cut the second line, we clamp a straightedge across the keyboard 1/8” below the head/tail joint. Then using an X-Acto knife we follow the straightedge and score each key very lightly and carefully. Then we do it again – four more times, to make sure the score line is deep enough. As the score line deepens we can apply more pressure on the knife but always being careful not to slip. There is no good way to recover from an error here so did I say “cut carefully”?

SHAPING4.JPG

The next photo shows this 2nd cut line.

SHAPING5.JPG

Now we’ll clamp the straightedge 1/8” below the line we just cut and cut the 3rd line.
Here’s the keyboard with all the lines cut.

SHAPING6.JPG

Now we will begin shaping the heads. The first step is to cut two small notches on the head starting about 1/8” from the bottom score line and ending at that line. This is done with a sharp X-Acto knife.

SHAPING7.JPG

We put masking tape on the sides and front of the key to protect it from the dreaded ebony dust. We also tape off the top of the key from the 3rd score line back. This is to protect those lines from the sandpaper that we’ll use to round the key head. You can see the two notches we cut at the top of the head. The notches actually become the top of the rounded part of the key head. They eliminate the need to use the shoe-shining technique close to the score lines – we want to keep them crisp.

SHAPING8.JPG

Next we round the ebony using a thin strip of 120 grit sandpaper in a shoe-shine fashion.
When the shape is correct, we sand again with 220 and 320 grit paper and ease the front edge and corners to eliminate sharpness.

SHAPING9.JPG

The next photo shows the shape of the head after sanding.

SHAPING10.JPG

A few hours have past and we’re about 2/3 of the way done with the shaping. Here’s a comparison photo of shaped vs. unshaped head. The two heads on the left have been shaped – the two on the right haven’t.

SHAPING11.JPG

A couple of hours later – the shaping is finished.

SHAPING12.JPG

A couple of things left to do. The jacks will ultimately sit on the far ends of each key. A piece of cloth must be glued to each key end to cushion and silence the sound of the jack falling back onto the key end after playing. No big deal except that the cloth strips must be cut to fit. I use a jig that I bought from Micro-Mark. It works quite well for cutting cloth although that was not its intended purpose. Here’s the jig.

SHAPING13.JPG

And here’s the key end cloths glued into place on the ends of 2 keys.

SHAPING14.JPG

And here’s the completed keyboard.

SHAPING15.JPG

Well, not quite complete. The keys don’t seem to be quite as level as we would want them to be. We’ve added a lot of weight to the front of the keys with all that ebony and bone. We have to balance the keyboard by adding small lead weights to the rear of each key. To do this, we place a weight (or sometimes more than one) on the top of the key and move it backwards until the rear of the key drops down lightly and rests on the backrail cloth. Then we mark the position of the lead(s) on the side of the key. Here’s a picture of key #1 with two leads on it.

SHAPING16.JPG

Then we’re off to the drill press. We’ll drill two holes in the side of the key slightly larger than the diameter of the lead which is ¼”. We place the two pieces of lead into the holes and tap them two or three times with a hammer and screwdriver blade. This expands the soft lead and wedges it into the hole.

SHAPING17.JPG

Now that the keyboard is balanced, all that remains is to put some protective finish on the ebony. Over the years I’ve tried just about every finish known to man. Shellac, polyurethane, wipe-on poly etc. For me, the best one for this application is low gloss Tung Oil. It gives me the nice soft even sheen I’m looking for, while letting the ebony look like wood instead of plastic. Here’s the procedure I used on this keyboard.
1.Sand keys with 400 grit wet/dry paper (dry).
2.Wipe on a coat of Tung oil.
3.Let dry for 12 hours
4.Rub the finish with 4/0 steel wool followed by a tack cloth.
5.Wipe on another coat of Tung Oil.
6.Let dry for 12 hours
7.Rub finish with 4/0 steel wool
8.Rub finish with a soft dry cloth

Then I brush on 3 coats of satin water-based Polycrylic on the arcades, sanding lightly between coats with 320 paper. This protects the arcades without changing the natural color of the maple.

And that’s it! I may put another coat of tung oil on the ebony before the instrument leaves the shop if I decide the ebony needs a little more shine. Three coats is my limit – any more and the ebony loses its natural look and starts to look like a plastic party spoon.
Here’s the completed keyboard with 2 coats of tung oil.

SHAPING18.JPG

And here’s a closer shot.

SHAPING19.JPG

Still closer.....

SHAPING20.JPG

And that’s a wrap. It’s taken 5 Parts of this series and 86 photos to describe the keyboard making process. I hope I’ve given you a feel for how it’s done (at least the way I do it).

Next time, we’ll return to the soundboard – locate the bridges, mark the bridges, and glue them to the soundboard. Space permitting, we’ll cut the rose hole, make the rose, make the cut-off bars and ribs and install them. We’re getting close.

Till next time,
Ernie

PChristy

New User
Phillip
Ernie, ppl say that scrollers must have patience of steel - man you got my patience beat all to pices - you have done a great job not only on the harpsichord but with the "how to" for all of us
Thanks a bunch:icon_thum

nelsone

New User
Ed
I know what you mean about ebony looking like plastic! I made a pen of ebony a while back and was quite disappointed about the looks!

As always, I'm thoroughly enjoying the tutorial!

mlzettl

Matt
Corporate Member
Ernie,

Magnificent looking!! I'm pretty patient with details, but I don't know if I could be that patient. Also, did I miss something, or did you just tend to gloss over the finishing of the sharps in your last installment? You mentioned that you round over the ends slightly, but you didn't mention the side edges. Are those just left absolutely square? Seems to me that those edges would be eased a little as well. Is the bone finished the same way as the ebony, or is it left unfinished?

Matt

ErnieM

Ernie
Corporate Member
Thanks to all for your too kind comments. Patience is easy to have when you love what you're doing.

Matt,

You're right. In Part 17, I didn't mention the side edges of the bone. The front edges are carefully rounded (but not enough to see unless you look closely). Any sharpness here will be felt by the player and is not a good way to make friends. The side edges are broken slightly with a few passes of 320 grit sandpaper - just enough to take the edge off. :rotflm:

Ernie

Last edited:

thrt15nc

Tom
User
Ernie, thanks for the latest installment! I'm with Philip in I'm having a hard time imagining the patience required. Wonderful job. :icon_thum:eusa_clap:icon_thum:eusa_clap

I'm going to hate to see your play by play come to an end.

Tom

ErnieM

Ernie
Corporate Member
Ernie, thanks for the latest installment! I'm with Philip in I'm having a hard time imagining the patience required. Wonderful job. :icon_thum:eusa_clap:icon_thum:eusa_clap

I'm going to hate to see your play by play come to an end.

Tom

Tom,

Who says it's ever going to end? :rotflm:
Ernie

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
:swoon::swoon::swoon::swoon:

And that's all I have to say about that!

MrAudio815

New User
Matthew
Wow,

This is the first time I read your harpsicord project and was thinking to myself before I started reading every line. Man I would sure love to learn how he does it! Those are beautiful. Then I got to the end and thought wow I don't think I could get enough time off of work just to watch you go from start to finish. Thank you for sharing such an amazing talent (that you learned from someone I can't recall). I'm sure it would take years to learn.

Thanks for sharing with us,

ErnieM

Ernie
Corporate Member
This is the first time I read your harpsicord project and was thinking to myself before I started reading every line. Man I would sure love to learn how he does it! Those are beautiful. Then I got to the end and thought wow I don't think I could get enough time off of work just to watch you go from start to finish. Thank you for sharing such an amazing talent (that you learned from someone I can't recall). I'm sure it would take years to learn.

Thanks for sharing with us,

Matthew,

Glad you joined me in this project. Yes, I did learn from someone. My teacher was, and is, Paul Kennedy of Paul Kennedy Harpsichords. The knowledge he gave me is something I can never repay. I hope you'll be able to stay with me for the rest of this project and thanks for your reply.

Ernie

MrAudio815

New User
Matthew
Ernie,

Ahh, that's him; I read it before somewhere on your website maybe or here on NCWoodworker. I was amazed at the talent then as I still am today. I thought back then, that they couldn't be real. They were just too amazing. I am in awe every time I see them. Thanks for the reply and I will stay with you during your amazing talent in sharing complete detail, like I have never seen before which is greatly apprecaited and admired.

Sincerely,

NZAPP1

New User
Nick
Ernie,
Would you do the same detail on the keys if they where covered in bone? GREAT :eusa_clap play by play keep it up.

ErnieM

Ernie
Corporate Member
Would you do the same detail on the keys if they where covered in bone? GREAT :eusa_clap play by play keep it up.
Nick,

Generally speaking, the answer is yes. When bone is used as a covering for the natural keys, the rounding off is somewhat less severe and there are only 2 score lines with a notch cut between them. This is an older tradition - the way I do it is more French than Flemish. Thanks for following along.

Ernie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS