Harbor Fright Dust Collector

Pop Golden

New User
Pop
I have several woodworkers I know including my son who have a Harbor Fright dust collector. How many of you folks have a HF collector? Any problems? My son has a Dust Deputy in front of his collector. I'm thinking of the same arrangement. He has had good results.

Tgillis

Tonika
Corporate Member
I have one and am for the most part am happy with it. I do think that in some point in the future that I will upgrade it but for the time being it is going a great job.

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
I like my HF DC just fine, no plugs yet on the 4" diameter lines. I have a large Brute trash can with a cyclone type cover in front. The whole system works very well. Sanders, table saw, router tables, planer, 2 lathes, 2 band saws, and a floor sweep; all work very well.

JimD

Jim
Senior User
I have one but it isn't hooked up yet. I saw a coupon and bought it based upon that timetable but I also took in a 20% off coupon and that was actually a better deal. They didn't take 20% off the sale price but 20% off the normal price was less than the coupon. Anyway, I plugged in the motor to be sure it works but I do not plan to set up the stock configuration. I will build something like the Grey House studios design except I won't add the Rikon impeller unless I decide I need it. I am thinking of using 5 inch snap lock piping but 4 inch S&D piping would be easier and cheaper and probably work just fine. DIY Tyler has a similar configuration as Grey House Studios, both have good You tubes. I may just duct the output of the Super Dust Deputy outside. Or I may use the filter that Grey House Studios used. It has good fine particle filtering but costs a lot less the Wynn cartridge filter (which I used in a previous shop and worked well). I like the long skinny design of the Grey House studios filter too. Anyway, I can't say how it works yet but I am pretty sure it will work at least a lot better than my old "1hp" Delta AP-400. It worked on the table saw but not the jointer. It just didn't move enough air.

jtdon99

New User
jim
I have owned 2 HF dust collectors, never had an issue with either of them. The 1st I used for 10 years and sold it when we moved
to Hawaii. Bought the 2nd one 3 years ago, running fine, hooked up to T/Saw, jointer, planer, bandsaw, drill press and lathe (sanding only).

Tom from Clayton

tom
Corporate Member
I've had one for about 15 years. Works fine. Replaced the on/off switch twice but easily available through harborfreight.com.

Chilihead

New User
Chilihead
I've had one for 6 years and it works perfectly for my home shop. I upgraded to a Wynn cartridge filter and installed a Thein baffle in the inside. The Wynn improved the suction greatly and the baffle keeps the filter very clean. I recommnend all 3!

Tgillis

Tonika
Corporate Member
I have one but it isn't hooked up yet. I saw a coupon and bought it based upon that timetable but I also took in a 20% off coupon and that was actually a better deal. They didn't take 20% off the sale price but 20% off the normal price was less than the coupon. Anyway, I plugged in the motor to be sure it works but I do not plan to set up the stock configuration. I will build something like the Grey House studios design except I won't add the Rikon impeller unless I decide I need it. I am thinking of using 5 inch snap lock piping but 4 inch S&D piping would be easier and cheaper and probably work just fine. DIY Tyler has a similar configuration as Grey House Studios, both have good You tubes. I may just duct the output of the Super Dust Deputy outside. Or I may use the filter that Grey House Studios used. It has good fine particle filtering but costs a lot less the Wynn cartridge filter (which I used in a previous shop and worked well). I like the long skinny design of the Grey House studios filter too. Anyway, I can't say how it works yet but I am pretty sure it will work at least a lot better than my old "1hp" Delta AP-400. It worked on the table saw but not the jointer. It just didn't move enough air.
Got a link to the Grey House studio design you're talking about? I haven't heard of it before.

tarheelz

Dave
Corporate Member
I have a deconstructed HF DC. I just use the motor attached to the wall attached to a Thein collector. Exhaust goes out through the garage wall. Works pretty well. (Probably would work better if I had run it with 6" PVC.)

NOTW

Notw
Senior User
I have one that I got second hand from Phil back in 2014 that is still running strong. I've had it both hard piped with 4" S&D PVC and now it is on a cart with a single hose (haven't decided where all the tools will live yet)

Rwe2156

DrBob
Senior User
(Probably would work better if I had run it with 6" PVC.)
No "probably" about it ;)

4" is going to decrease CFM's dramatically over 6".

I know this is true because when I redid my system and went to 6" ducts, the difference was amazing.

lvparagod

New User
Roger
I have one, had the cyclone over the trash can for years, finally bought a Super dust deputy and built my own using different ideas from youtube, anyway my shop has never been cleaner!!

JimD

Jim
Senior User
DrBob,

Did you use 6 inch with the HF 2hp? In the Grey House studios you tube or article he mentions he went to the Rikon impeller because he didn't think the stock impeller would support 6 inch piping. I assume the concern would be the velocity falling off and the pipe plugging. Did you do it and it worked fine? This is useful for my planning. I would prefer to use the taller dust deputy with 6 inch connections although it's price is also a significant difference. It should separate better than the shorter one with 5 inch connections.

Jim

lvparagod

New User
Roger
The outlet on the Super dust deputy is 6 in to the motor and 5 inch to the system, I got a 5x6 reducer and went out with 6 in duct to the first machine then 4 inch from there. I have a small shop, I have 2 drops then just move around the hose to other machines if needed. I have seen an increase in air flow and an increase in the cleanliness of the shop since I did this. Next will be a WIX filter. I will try and post a pic.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS