Happy wife Happy life

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boomer76

New User
Boomer
Here is my latest project nearing completion. It still needs a bit more sanding and securing the top. Then to apply the stain and shellac. It was designed to fit in the space between the vanity and the tub in our master bathroom. It is poplar with birch plywood sides.
attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• chest of drawers(1).jpg
    chest of drawers(1).jpg
    450.2 KB · Views: 286
  • chest of drawers.jpg
    chest of drawers.jpg
    455.1 KB · Views: 261

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
Nice work Boomer. One of the advantages of being a woodworker is the ability to customize pieces to fit specific spaces. Looks like you've done it well. Nice piece.

Is shellac really going to be a tough enough top coat for a bathroom? Or are you planning a different topcoat with the shellac as a barrier/sealer?

Last edited:

Boomer76

New User
Boomer
Nice work Boomer. One of the advantages of being a woodworker is the ability to customize pieces to fir spaces. Looks like you've done it well. Nice piece.

Is shellac really going to be a tough enough top coat for a bathroom? Or are you planning a different topcoat with the shellac as a barrier/sealer?

Thank you. I'm still researching finishing options and still learning. Before this I have only used polyurethane on bare pine.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
Poly might be a good choice for something in the wet environment of a bathroom. Maybe a wipe-on Poly.

Very nicely done. Your title says it all.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Dewaxed shellac is pretty moisture/humidity resistant and often gets short-shrifted but a steamy bathroom might be pushing it. I'd stay with the shellac, nix the poly, and overcoat with a quality marine spar varnish like Epifanes. We have a wood rack in our shower holding whatever we need and it has 2-3 coats of Epifanes and shows no signs of deterioration after 8 years. About $32/qt.

https://www.jamestowndistributors.c...id=92&familyName=Epifanes+Gloss+Clear+Varnish

Boomer76

New User
Boomer
Here is the finished product. My wife is impressed and very happy. Woohoo!
There is a quarter round at the base of the vanity and the tub so that is as close as I can put it. We're only renting so I didn't care too much to make it match the existing cabinets and drawers.
I used two coats of natural stain and three coats of spar varnish.
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• chest of drawers(2).jpg
    chest of drawers(2).jpg
    382.2 KB · Views: 148
  • chest of drawers(4).jpg
    chest of drawers(4).jpg
    351 KB · Views: 145
  • chest of drawers(3).jpg
    chest of drawers(3).jpg
    355.3 KB · Views: 143

Melinapex

Mark
Corporate Member
Nicely done. Looks perfect for that space. Now it gets filled with "her stuff" and you get new tools..... win-win!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors