Handheld Cassette Recorder Wanted

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

rickc

I am hoping someone might have an old, working handheld cassetted recorder in a drawer somewhere they would like to get rid of. I live in the Cary area so someone close by so it would be convenient for me to come by and pick up.

I am working on a video project from my parents old home movies. Literally, 19-20 years ago, at my request, they projected their old home movies on a screen and recorded them on a VHS camcorder. BUT THEY DIDN'T PROVIDE ANY NARRATION! :-( At the first of the year they will both be 80. I am hoping to give them a DVD and the recorder and have them narrate this time around.I will then go back add the audio track. Some of the footage is priceless - like THEIR honeymoon in 1954! Family members I vaguely remember and some I don't even know. I want to capture their stories while they are still alive and not forgotten.

So - it needs to have "continuous" recording capability (NOT voice activated) and the ability to hook up a line feed to my pc. A small head phone jack would suffice I believe. Battery powered or even if it comes with an ac adapter that would be fine as well.

If anyone has such an animal and willing to donate it to a worthy and honorable cause :-D please drop me a PM. Thanks!

Rick

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Sorry Rick, I don't have one. But, I looked for something similar last year. You can get a simple recorder at Wal Mart for $20 -> http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=5622724. Radio shack also has one for $30.

I ended up using the recording capability of my MP3 player. Much easier that way, since it's already digitized. Can't you borrow a laptop? They usually have a built-in microphone.

Good luck.

R

rickc

Sorry Rick, I don't have one. But, I looked for something similar last year. You can get a simple recorder at Wal Mart for $20 -> http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=5622724. Radio shack also has one for $30.

I ended up using the recording capability of my MP3 player. Much easier that way, since it's already digitized. Can't you borrow a laptop? They usually have a built-in microphone.

Good luck.
Thanks for the lead. I took a look at it, and it has voice-activated-recording. That is why I am looking for an older model. That way, they start at the beginning, and then just start talking. If they pause, it keeps recording and when they start up again, they are at the correct scene. That way I am not trying to align the audio and video piece by piece.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Good point on the alignment of audio and video. I looked at a unit many years ago, and it had an override for the VAR. Of course, no way to know if the RCA model has this, since the web site has no manuals.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS