Hand saw restoration and sharpening workshop

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I would be interested in a hand tool basics class towards the coast or even a one on one session if someone offers one nearby
You guys over near the coast should talk to Stuart Kent and see if he can get a class together at his school.

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Just for clarification, here is the list I have for the "Hand Saw Restoration and Sharpening" workshop. There are separate list for other workshops currently being discussed in other threads (e.g. "Hand Saw Skills", "Introduction to Finishing", "Sharpening", "Spray Finishing", etc.

USER NAMENICKNAME
J_GrahamGraham
jlimeyJeff
areevesncAaron
danmart77Dan
ClausClaus
FishinmikeMike
CarabnrCara
wbarnesWill
RicksmiRick
creasmanJim

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
Always want to improve my skills. If the date works out, I would like to attend. Done about a dozen, but not as good as I want. Need to understand re-tensioning better.

Has anyone tried the Seller's technique of beveling the back of the tooth?

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Just for clarification, here is the list I have for the "Hand Saw Restoration and Sharpening" workshop. There are separate list for other workshops currently being discussed in other threads (e.g. "Hand Saw Skills", "Introduction to Finishing", "Sharpening", "Spray Finishing", etc.

USER NAMENICKNAME
J_GrahamGraham
jlimeyJeff
areevesncAaron
danmart77Dan
ClausClaus
FishinmikeMike
CarabnrCara
wbarnesWill
RicksmiRick
creasmanJim
Bill please add me to this list (or as a back-up) - If I signed up for the "Hand Saw skills" that was by accident... this is the one I intended...

1075tech

Tim
Senior User
It'd be a hike, but I could be talked into it depending on the date/time, etc.

I have an original E.C. Simmons Keen Kutter I wouldn't mind doing something with

Carabnr

Cara
User
I'm interested if the date works. Following for more updates.

@Bill Clemmons
Super Bill,

I can't wait! I've been totally geeking out on saw restoration lately.
I'm going to move my specific saw restoration work to another spot

Last edited:

Charlie Buchanan

Charlie
Corporate Member
This is a feeler post to find out what the interest if any in western style handsaw restoration and sharpening.
If we can put together enough interest let’s say 6 participants then I would like to put this on.
This workshop will cover assessing a saw for its future usability, ie is it worth restoring at your skill level. The material and tools needed to succeed in this type of restoration. We will cover disassembly, cleaning the parts, blade cleaning will include attempting to preserve an etch. Smithing the blade will include straightening a bow or a bend, removing kinks. Restoring the handle will include repairs and refinishing. Re-sharpening will include tooth line condition and assessing what needs to be done. There is a lot of material to cover in this subject. Most workshops elsewhere take a week to cover this and I’m not going tell you it can be done in a day. It’s not. We can do an over view of this subject and introduce you to resources to help you along.
if you are interested please leave a post and we will go from there.
I’d be up for this. Put me on the list.

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
The date for this workshop has been set for Saturday, April 20, at my shop in Liberty, NC. We currently have 2 openings left for anyone interested in participating. Please let us know if you are interested and can attend on 4/20.

Below is some information Richard has provided regarding what will be covered and what items you should bring (if you have them).

*******************************************************************************************************

Hand saw restoration supply list:

Supplies you may want to bring to the workshop are as follows
Rubber sanding block
Simple Green in a spray bottle

Wet/dry sand paper 220, 320, 400, 600, 1000
Disposable gloves
Card scraper
Razor blade
Layout fluid or a magic marker
Single cut flat file six to ten inches

A few saw files within the range of the saw you are working on

pastedGraphic.png

You will notice that there is some overlap within these files. This will give you options so if you don’t have a particular file you can substitute to another size.
A saw vise if you have one, but it’s not required for this workshop. I will have five or six vises with me and I think Bill has one setup permanently in his shop.
A couple drift punches to assist in removing saw nuts.

Other supplies to consider but not necessarily for this workshop are
Several mallets I keep and use for saw work 2Lb steel hammer, 1Lb ball pen, 1Lb brass mallet, 8oz brass mallet, small 1Lb wooden mallet.
Digital calipers.
Saw sets
Masking tape
Cold bluing

Metal polish
Rags and paper towels.
I’m sure I’ve forgotten some things I generally take for granted however between myself and Bill we will have what’s needed to help everyone along.

There is a lot of ground to cover in this subject and there is not a chance we can complete a full restoration in a single workshop. However, we will cover a most of the steps involving This process.
We will look at the terms used to communicate the language of saws.
We will look at assessing the saws condition and we will attempt to date its age based on the resources available.
We will look at the plates condition, the handles condition, the tooth line. We will assess just how much work the individual saw presents and is it worth messing with.
We will discuss and assess hand saws, panel saws, and back saws.

We will walk through disassembly of these saws, including removing a folded back and resetting the back.
I will walk you through re-tensioning both hand saws and back saws
I will walk you through straightening a kink, a bow, a dent in a saw plate.
We will walk through the beginning of reworking a tooth line and shaping teeth.
We will walk through setting the teeth, including the different methods to that process.

We will go over sharpening. Along with testing and fine tuning your saw.
This is going to be fun, there is a lot of information to cover, so I’ll be honest we could do other workshops digging deeper into the finer points of hand saw restoration, maintenance, and set up. You guys can be the judge and let me know after we do this crash course.
I look forward to seeing everyone.
Thanks, Richard Moore

**********************************************************************************************************

There is no fee for this workshop. However, a $50 donation to the NCWW Scholarship Fund is encouraged and greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
We still have two spots open for this workshop if anyone is interested. we have a great crew assembled already, so this will be fun.

jlimey

Jeff
Corporate Member
Thanks to Bill Clemmons for generously hosting this workshop and Graywolf for teaching. It was a great learning experience. I made good progress on a saw I had dreaded working on because of the sad shape of its tooth line. Not finished but on the right track to restoration.
Let me add my thanks to Richard and Bill for putting on this workshop. Learned a lot.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors