Hand Saw Advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

jsnd

New User
Jason
Howdy!

From time to time I have the need to make quick, relatively precise cuts while working around the house... we recently sank a new mailbox post, and I had to cut an 8" cement form tube. The only hand saws I currently own are a hacksaw and a cheap miter saw. These are both around 12" - 14" long, and not quite useful for general purpose stuff. I wanted to pick something up with a little more "meat," and possibly something that would allow my to try my hand at a non-power-tool project...

I'm not looking for the Excalibur of handsaws...

attachment.php

...just something well made and can work in a variety of roles - I really don't know anything about saws, so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Attachments

• excalibur-handsaw.png
    excalibur-handsaw.png
    296.7 KB · Views: 273

Raymond

Raymond
Staff member
Corporate Member
Could you use a 7-1/2 circular saw to do this? If so, I can swing by some day this week and lend you mine.

jsnd

New User
Jason
@Raymond... I have been thinking about getting a cordless circular saw (I do have a corded 7 1/2 saw), and I use it fairly regularly, although I'd like to have a manual saw to use from time to time.

@ck1999 - I just checked the Amazon link - WOW! Lot's of great user reviews! 4.8 out of 5 stars for 231 customers!! That's impressive... not as impressive as the Shark promo video though ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5v1P5Rp1no

ck1999

Chris
User
Nice video, how many did you order lol. Video makes it sound like you can't like without it.

Chris

marinosr

Richard
Corporate Member
Holy crap that video is awesome. Highlights:

"In daily life, pulling is more common than pushing!"... I have often thought to myself that I am too close to an object such as my computer or a plate of food, but the arcane knnowledge of pushing the object awaycseems too difficult to attempt so I typically just have to back away from the object.

(5:40) "Can even outperform power saws" (when using a power saw above your head on an unsecured 2x4)

zapdafish

Steve
Corporate Member
I'd take advertising demos with a grain of salt. After taking the handsaw class I could easily configure a western saw to choke or chatter and be pretty much useless.

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
For most construction type sawing (cutting 2xs to length, or sawing out a window relief in plywood) I use the FatMax saws from Lowes. I have both the long and short, and they do quite well as long as I do my part. The downside is that these saws are almost impossible to resharpen due to the electro-hardened teeth. The upside is they aren't expensive and the hardened teeth last quite well, even in hard wood. Although I now have a Veritas dovetail saw, for many years I did okay using a common backsaw like you would get with an inexpensive miter set. If its sharp, it cuts dovetails and tenons just fine. The finer teeth also make for smoother cuts and less tear-out when doing molding, etc.

I also have an old Disston saw that I have sharpened to a rip profile. If you are planning on a hand tool-only, and will have to either split a thick board (resaw) or cut a long length, a good rip saw excels over the universal grind teeth of the hand saws you now find in the Borg.

If buying a hand saw, the first step is to grab the handle with the forefinger extended along it to see how it feels. A comfortable handle will make a big difference in the long run. If you are planning on ripping a lot of wood to width, I recommend you try the fit with either hand. If you can learn to saw with either hand, you will find it less tiring on long cuts, and more convenient when cutting boards to length in confined quarters.

Probably the most important thing with a hand saw is that is is properly sharpened so that it doesn't drift in the cut. Protecting the teeth when storing is a good way to keep it cutting straight, so save that cardboard sleeve if you don't have another way to protect it.

jmtcw

Go

TENdriver

New User
TENdriver
Jason, I'm more of a hand tool guy and personally prefer "western" style saws for reasons that aren't related to performance. As much as I enjoy my somewhat pricey western saws, I recognize just how amazing some of these economically priced eastern saws are.

I've used the Shark saws over several years and would highly recommend them without hesitation. My only caveat (and this applies to western saws as well) is to encourage you to work with or learn from someone who is very familiar with that style of saw. Not because the saw is challenging to use, but because it's capabilities far exceed the expectations of a tool at that price point. With some minor skills, inexpensive Asian saws can do some very respectable work.

jsnd

New User
Jason
@marinosr - Hahahaha!!!! I'm sitting in a restaurant reading your post - cracking up - I'm getting some funny looks...

@gofor - Thank you so much for your insights! It seems obvious, but I hadn't even thought about handle comfort... great advice.

@TENdriver - Great point about learning from someone more experienced... If I were a little closer, I'd invite myself to help you with your next project :eusa_danc. ...I'll keep my eyes open for opportunities nearby...

@all - thanks for your input - I'm looking forward to "cutting my teeth" on a new handsaw soon!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS