Hand planing a board flat

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
I know there are a number of videos, books, workshops etc. to help teach flattening a board.

I just listened to this one by Rex Krueger and thought it was worth sharing:
I find his examples and methods helpful - he also references Richard Maguire and Joshua Klein
(I know he uses a "rag in an oil can" so that is a nod to Paul Sellers as well...

danmart77

Dan
Corporate Member
Hey Hank
Just a note. None of these guys use a toothing plane to get a section with a bump down. When I worked in the museum setting the toothing plane was hard to get from others.

mdbuntyn

Matt
Staff member
Corporate Member
None of these guys use a toothing plane to get a section with a bump down. When I worked in the museum setting the toothing plane was hard to get from others.
It was my understanding that the primary role of a toothing plane was to prepare surfaces for veneer application.

danmart77

Dan
Corporate Member
The toothing plane allows you to make it thru high figured wood and difficult grain patterns. The plane I use is the LN 164 low angle smoother, not the LN 62 jack.

1-164-iso-2020.jpg

Its hard to tell from the photo but this plane is shorter than the LN62. I can put a toothing iron in the plane and go without much trouble. Others have said they don't care for the low angle planes but I am very pleased with the planes. I do use it for substrate surfacing for veneer work. Unlike the toothing plane that is made for that task, this tool can be used to plane as well as scrape.

Hope this answers your question
Dan

Last edited:

danmart77

Dan
Corporate Member
The toothing plane allows you to make it thru high figured wood and difficult grain patterns. The plane I use is the LN 164 low angle smoother, not the LN 62 jack.

View attachment 216843
Its hard to tell from the photo but this plane is shorter than the LN62. I can put a toothing iron in the plane and go without much trouble. Others have said they don't care for the low angle planes but I am very pleased with the planes. I do use it for substrate surfacing for veneer work. Unlike the toothing plane that is made for that task, this tool can be used to plane as well as scrape.

Hope this answers your question
Dan

Ptofimpact

Pete
User
For reference, the milled wood I get from my friend, are usually pieces he cannot use, he does commission work, I am a wood hack. The pieces on the far end are generally what I use.

Attachments

• 574BC487-E7C6-4C08-BE4E-82E4EBDDF3F0.jpeg
    574BC487-E7C6-4C08-BE4E-82E4EBDDF3F0.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 65
  • 1AF932DD-9CE6-4176-856B-C7497B4129FF.jpeg
    1AF932DD-9CE6-4176-856B-C7497B4129FF.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 64
  • 1BB73EC3-6BE0-4BC8-ABF5-6D7378BA1001.jpeg
    1BB73EC3-6BE0-4BC8-ABF5-6D7378BA1001.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 64

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
I have used my toothed blade in my Veritas low angle jack plane to level knots in oak, walnut and cherry.After getting them close to level, I finish off with a scraper to remove the tooth marks.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors