gun cabinet build.

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
Creal - well you got me to thinking, too because I have a couple guys who want me to build them a display cabinet.

So IF someone breaks in and IF the cabinet can be opened easily enough, that's an issue.

Bottom line I believe in freedom so it's their decision, not ours.

Its not. I just wanted to give a short answer since the posters didn't.

Its based on plans that I have + I think it looks better to have a little space there.
Just needs to be deep enough to house a rack + the width of the gun butt will work.

Glad your "thinking" it's good for mind, body and soul.

Maybe I went off the wrong way??? But I am 100% believer in freedoms. So much so in fact - I am a registered independent and am affiliated with no political party or movement. I like to think I can make up my own mind about rights and wrongs and act accordingly, after all I'm the one that is accountable for my actions. All I'm trying to point out is there are times (more likely than not) that my actions effect others. What's the old saying? "The road to #### is paved with good intentions" which seems to be appropriate here - in my mind anyways.

Now I've really said more than enough - I'll go quiet now...

Last edited:

JimD

Jim
Senior User
I think mine was about 12 inches but we don't live in that house any more so I can't go measure it. But, also again, if you aren't planning more guns, it isn't hard to lean them against a wall and see what you need. My back rest was a 2x4 set on edge with barrel separators of 1x scraps screwed on from below. Different guns need different widths too. One of my shotguns is a side by side, for instance, and needs a bigger barrel channel than my pump. The flintlock needs a bit more space than the bolt actions. My cabinet was not even pine, it was plywood sides and painted. It resided in my closet. It was screwed to the studs and had a lock so it was pretty solid but no match for any adult sized person with tools. But enough to keep kids out unless they are very determined and not really little kids any more - old enough to know to stay out.

Another thing about safes, the cheaper ones can just be picked up and carried off. All your guns and your safe can go out the door. It is possible but not certain that your guns are harder to steal in a safe. A well constructed cabinet can also slow up a thief. If you can easily transport the safe, the thief can too. If you can't, you need to be careful where you put it. Normal floors are only good to at most 40 lbs per square feet before the sag gets noticeable. The "best" safes may challenge that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS