Group buy of DC1100 particle counter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Douglas Robinson

Doug Robinson
Corporate Member
On Saw Mill Creek there is a group buy for Dylos particle meters. This is a great deal! The cost drops incrementally the more people participating. If you want to determine the amount of dust in your shop and evaluate the effectiveness of your dust collection this is a relatively inexpensive solution. I would rather buy more woodworking machinery, but I also want to protect my health. So I am in. (BTW: I ran this by Steve Coles, and he said it was ok to post.) Here is a link:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=73903

Doug

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
NCWW ought to buy one or two that we could all borrow or rent to test our shops. What do you think Steve?
NCWW CAN NOT buy or own anything,it has no legal standing. So what it really means that either I or someone else would have buy it and then be in charge of the logistics. It could be a nightmare. This one ain't for me. Sorry:crybaby2:

cptully

New User
Chris
Not to be a wet blanket, but I really liked Wood Magazine's method for testing the effectiveness of air cleaners (not dust collectors) in a review from '06 or '07. They placed clean aluminum pie pans at various (sheltered and open) locations around their test shop. Then with the air cleaner running they made a series of cuts on the table saw and left the air cleaner running for I think 30 minutes. After letting the air settle for another hour or so they collected all of the pie pans and weighed them to determine how much dust was collected. Granted you need access to a fairly accurate scale in the onces (or grams) range, but if you do this is a quick & easy low cost alternative. Just weigh the pans before and after a session.

Chris

Cuprousworks

Mike
User
I read that on SWC. My thought was "so what?" What are you going to do with this new information?

Me, I've already invested all that I reasonably can in dust collection, I'm not going to drop woodworking if my questionably accurate meter gives me a reading of greater than zero when I'm not really sure what scale means or true nature of the risk is.

Common sense tells me that breathing small dust of any sort isn't going to be good for me, but I'm also pretty sure I'll be exposed to some of these particles throughout my day, whether it's following a diesel truck or sitting next to a laser printer.

If I'm not going to change my behavior (i.e., woodworking in my shop), why do I need a tester? And if you're worried about sub micron wood dust you should either invest in a respirator or quit woodworking and find a bubble to live in.

(coughing up wood and drywall dust now....)
Mike
Chapel Hill, NC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS