Grizzly lathe recall

bowman

Board of Directors, Webmaster
Neal
Staff member
Corporate Member
Just saw this, for any Grizzly wood lathe owners.

From CPSC website:

Remedy:
Consumers should immediately stop using the recalled wood lathes and contact Grizzly Industrial for details on how to receive a free repair kit, including shipping. The repair kit consists of an upgraded faceplate, tool rest and tool rest base.

mkepke

Mark
Senior User
Thanks for the info. The description of the problem is nonsensical..probably lost in translation by the CSPC’s copy writer.

Educated guess says the problem is poor quality (low strength) castings in the included faceplate and toolrest assembly.

-Mark

awldune

Sam
User
According to the CPSC: “The wood lathes cutting tool can break, posing an injury hazard due to projectiles that can strike the user and bystanders, and a laceration hazard to the user who could come into direct contact with the cutting tool.”

So far, Grizzly has received four reports of the cutting tool breaking, and one reported injury.

❓

Baffling. Unless we're talking about a copy attachment or something.

iclark

Ivan
User
I have had trouble reconciling the Family Handyman article description with the reported remedy. We discussed it some on a different forum with pretty much the same comments as in this thread. Someone also added that they could find no mention of the recall on the Grizzly site.
The only speculation that I have found to explain the remedy is a possible foundry problem in the foundry that made those 3 items. Some here have experienced a tool rest breaking in cold weather. While that will certainly give a major adrenaline rush, I would not expect an experienced turner to be forcing the gouge so hard into the wood as to get an injury. On the other hand, if the banjo breaks in such a way that the tool rest and chisel jam into a large bowl being turned, then I could see all kinds of possibilities for injury if someone violated the don't-stand-in-the-danger-zone rule. I remember a few years back when the president of one of the GA turning clubs broke his jaw when a piece being turned came off the lathe and hit him. That was the same year that a woman died from a head injury when a large "challenging" piece came apart. Neither was wearing a faceshield or using a lathe safety cage.
I keep hoping that someone finds and shares the underlying reason for the recall.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors