Grizzly grinder for sharpening lawn mower blades

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Won’t hurt the grinder, but will take a long time to do a lawnmower blade. They are slow for finer blades to keep from overheating.
I would use a standard bench grinder or a coarse belt sander for lawnmower blades.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
I have sharpened a LOT of mower blades.

If this is a mulching blade I would suggest against using a slow speed grinder since the convoluted shape of the blade is even difficult to sharpen correctly on a 3/4 or 1" wheel.

NOT that it can't be done but as Mike points out it is easier to sharpen on a bench grinder...

Grimmy2016

Administrator
Scott
I have sharpened a LOT of mower blades.

If this is a mulching blade I would suggest against using a slow speed grinder since the convoluted shape of the blade is even difficult to sharpen correctly on a 3/4 or 1" wheel.

NOT that it can't be done but as Mike points out it is easier to sharpen on a bench grinder...

So the blades I want to sharpen ARE mulching blades. Do you have any recommendations or warnings about how to get these sharpened at home?

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
So the blades I want to sharpen ARE mulching blades. Do you have any recommendations or warnings about how to get these sharpened at home?

I use an angle grinder w/ a 4 or 4.5 dia. disk. Not perfect, but it does well enough to keep me mowing. And quick.

beloitdavisja

James
Corporate Member
I use an angle grinder as well. Grinding mower blades on that Grizzly (which I own) will take a long time, and will wear out the stone a lot. Better to reserve it to use on tools that require a finer edge than a mower blade.

Raymond

Raymond
Staff member
Corporate Member
I use a Dremel tool and have done many mower blades with the Dremel.

Hmerkle

Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
I like Bill's angle grinder or Raymond's Dremel idea - I have not done that myself - I typically use my slow-speed 8" bench grinder.

I sharpen the "flat areas" first then "blend" the convoluted areas and radii into them. (sometimes you need to get a little creative when the motor, guard or other things get in your way...)

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Like Bill and James, I too use an angle grinder (4-1/2"). Here on the farm we have to resharpen mower blades frequently, and I'm interested in the quickest, most efficient method.

We don't even bother to remove the blades anymore; just raise the mower up and sharpen them in place.

Grimmy2016

Administrator
Scott
Ok so this begs the question - what type or brand of angle grinder? Its another tool I dont own. I was really thinking a bench grinder would do what I needed but maybe the angle grinder would be cheaper?!?

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
Ok so this begs the question - what type or brand of angle grinder? Its another tool I dont own. I was really thinking a bench grinder would do what I needed but maybe the angle grinder would be cheaper?!?

Harbor Freight has a 4 1/2" grinder like the one I have for $11.99 this month. (normally only about $15). Mine gets sporadic use and has held up for several years now. Buy a couple of flap discs as well as a grinding wheel and you can make quick work of sharpening mower blades, axes, mauls, etc. Its noisy, but does the job just fine. https://www.harborfreight.com/025 .

Go

If you use it enough to wear it out, you can always buy a higher quality one. IMHO, not everything requires Festool quality

Last edited:

Hmerkle

Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Harbor Freight has a 4 1/2" grinder like the one I have for $11.99 this month. (normally only about $15). Mine gets sporadic use and has held up for several years now. Buy a couple of flap discs as well as a grinding wheel and you can make quick work of sharpening mower blades, axes, mauls, etc. Its noisy, but does the job just fine. https://www.harborfreight.com/

Go
Now there is a good idea!
I think they have coupons for it for $9.99!

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith

For an inexpensive option you can always go with Horror Freight. Unfortunately, every electrical tool that I've ever bought from them has burned out on me (including the one that my Brother in Law owned and insisted that I borrow.... when it fried he cleaned up because I bought him a higher quality replacement) so I'm a little jaded against them.

Professional welders frequently use the Metabo brand (German). I have several and like them a lot. Other great choices are Dewalt and Makita, which you can pick up from Lowes, Home Depot, etc.

I would suggest a 40 or 60 grit flap disc instead of a standard disc. Here is a good assortment:

https://www.amazon.com/Flap-Grindin...id=1526930389&sr=8-5&keywords=4-1/2+flap+disc

Local welding supply stores usually keep the disc's in stock.

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Scott, if you want to add another tool to your ww'ing collection - I suggest you buy a Dremel and an accessory kit. It will allow you to do more than just grind things.

https://www.amazon.com/Dremel-7700-...ie=UTF8&qid=1526925825&sr=1-4&keywords=Dremel

https://www.amazon.com/Dremel-710-0...ie=UTF8&qid=1526925825&sr=1-8&keywords=Dremel

For about $65, you get a whole lot of capabilities with a small cash purchase.

Raymond, thanks for the advice. I actually owned a Craftsman Dremel set for years and finally gave it away because I only used it once a decade (although I must admit I had to borrow a Dremel from a neighbor after I gave it away).

I do have 1/4" air die grinders that get used frequently though. That's kinda like a Dremel on steroids.

For so much of what we do here, we need a lot of power and capacity due to the size of the material.

beloitdavisja

James
Corporate Member
Got mine at harbor freight for $5 with coupon last summer. Rarely use it so if it fries, it was still worth the investment.

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
I have 3 4 1/2" angle grinders; Makita, Milwaukee, and Porter Cable. I've had the Makita for many years and it's still my go to tool. The Porter Cable was the cheapest, and the heaviest; I use it with a cupped wire brush when I'm getting a tractor ready for paint. They are all good, and the all do the job and should last for a number of years.

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
The only thing I use my angle grinder for is sharpening mower blades, so I bought the cheapest one they had at Northern Tool. Works fine.

Willemjm

Willem
Corporate Member
Do I have to sharpen my mower's blades? Going on 15 years, changed the oil and spark plug once, never touched anything else and it still works like day one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors