Grizzly G1023SLX - Lost Arbor Nut?

DanKellen

New User
Dan
Greetings NC Woodworkers, I’m a new member and was wondering if any of you might know where I might find a replacement for my lost arbor nut? I have an old Grizzly G1023 SLX table saw. The arbor nut is lost, and Grizzly tells me that the nut is out of production, and the replacement part will not be available until September. That’s a long time to be out of business! Any ideas or leads would be greatly appreciated!!!

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
Welome Dan, good place to be -To your issue - Common nut, easy to rebuy find the thread and diameter (I believe it is a 5/8 x 12 tpi Right hand) some models are left hand. Either way, this is a nut that can be purchased. The one thing it does require is that the face is milled flat to properly retain the bladed from shimming (wobbling). If it is a left handed you can buy a unisaw arbor nut they are 5/8 12tpi left handed and is the same spec as the Grizzly.

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
Where are you located and is your saw right tilt or left tilt? I may have a spare for a right tilt unisaw. I believe they are the same nut.

Warped Woodwerks

Senior User
If this helps:

From Grizz's website:

1680436838983.png

Appears to be a left-tilt

1680436926276.png

1680436947566.png

DanKellen

New User
Dan
Welome Dan, good place to be -To your issue - Common nut, easy to rebuy find the thread and diameter (I believe it is a 5/8 x 12 tpi Right hand) some models are left hand. Either way, this is a nut that can be purchased. The one thing it does require is that the face is milled flat to properly retain the bladed from shimming (wobbling). If it is a left handed you can buy a unisaw arbor nut they are 5/8 12tpi left handed and is the same spec as the Grizzly.
Thank you very much for the response Casey! I agree with the size, tpi count, and right hand threading - exactly what I discovered as well. Unfortunately I didn’t find that combination to be as common as I had hoped. I spent most of a couple hours online trying to find a fastener/hardware store that would have that specific nut. The most common thread count seems to be 11 tpi for a 5/8” nut. I am hoping someone has found a “honey hole” where they were able to find the elusive “12 tpi” 5/8” nut! Thank you for your time and expertise, and confirming I’m on the right track!

DanKellen

New User
Dan
Where are you located and is your saw right tilt or left tilt? I may have a spare for a right tilt unisaw. I believe they are the same nut.
Thank you Fred. I’m in the Charlotte, NC, area, and my saw is left tilt. The threads on my arbor are right handed. I that’s the case with your nut I’d be interested in chatting with you!

DanKellen

New User
Dan
Hi Dan,

From what I can find, that is a 5/8-12 RH nut. A quick google search lead to this link:

but I'm sure there are others available as well.

Hope this helps,

Regards,

Rick
Thanks Rick! I found this nut and bought it (for the PowerMatic arbor) and for some reason it’s not threading on my saw. I’m reluctant to force it on - don’t want to bugger up my arbor. I was thinking maybe the machining between the brands is just different enough to not allow them to be used interchangeably? Not sure - was really hopeful when I bought this one.

Rick Mainhart

Rick
Corporate Member
Well, how about this one:

for the current 1023 saws. I'm now curious as to whether your arbor is different from the current production saws.

The PowerMatic nut is an Acme thread ... thought pretty much all of the arbor nuts were ... but if not, that may be why it doesn't fit

Good luck!

Regards,
Rick

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
Thank you Fred. I’m in the Charlotte, NC, area, and my saw is left tilt. The threads on my arbor are right handed. I that’s the case with your nut I’d be interested in chatting with you!
I don't think it will work. Opposite threads.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
I bet it is the same nut used by Harvey. They might have built your saw in the first place.

Woodman2k

Greg Bender
Corporate Member
Grizzly builds there tools in several Taiwanese factories and Harvey only showed up in 1985 so the 1023 was already in production.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
Grizzly builds there tools in several Taiwanese factories and Harvey only showed up in 1985 so the 1023 was already in production.
Yes, but production of tools tends to migrate year to year. A few still in Taiwan, but I think the big four are all mainland.

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
The thread size will likely be a square thread rather than an acme if it follows the Delta USA-made Unisaw pattern used for years. The flat top of the threads will lead the inexperienced to conclude it is an acme thread. That was not the case with Delta saws and many other Delta clones. The Powermatic saws do indeed use an acme thread as do many others. A standard V-thread will not work under any circumstances.

See if you can borrow a Unisaw nut from someone to test on your saw. The Marathon-made Delta 7" grinders used a Unisaw nut on their LH shaft and Had an opposite hand threaded nut on the RH side.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS