Grizzly G0946 6" Jointer w/ Spiral Cutterhead- Good? Not so good?

jlcrtr

James
User
Good Morning,
Saw this jointer is on sale for $292.50. I have never owned or used a jointer, but have been thinking about buying one. Anyone know if this one is good. Thanks for your thoughts.

NOTW

Notw
Senior User
I've never been a fan of benchtop jointers, the beds aren't long enough to be effective. That being said i have no experience with the jointer model you have listed.

demondeacon

Dave
Senior User
I have the 8 inch model. It is not a true helix head and there are fewer cutters,, but probably better than knives. I generally have been pleased for what I paid. When edge jointing you do need to pay attention to position of fence and the first cutter. I tore up some cherry before I realized I needed to center the board over a cutter. There is some space between cutters. It is fine for shorter boards. I gerryrigged an outfeed support to try to improve length of boards i can run. If you have the extra money get the 8 inch model. For longer boards I get better results with router table or glue ready blade on tablesaw. Can send you a pic of my setup if desired

jlcrtr

James
User
I have the 8 inch model. It is not a true helix head and there are fewer cutters,, but probably better than knives. I generally have been pleased for what I paid. When edge jointing you do need to pay attention to position of fence and the first cutter. I tore up some cherry before I realized I needed to center the board over a cutter. There is some space between cutters. It is fine for shorter boards. I gerryrigged an outfeed support to try to improve length of boards i can run. If you have the extra money get the 8 inch model. For longer boards I get better results with router table or glue ready blade on tablesaw. Can send you a pic of my setup if desired
Pictures would be great! Thank you

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors