Grizzly Fence Help

AdamB

New User
Adam
Anyone near Winston-Salem that’s willing to help me with a fence issue with a new Grizzly G0858? I’m about to pull my hair out trying to get the fence to stay square at 90 degrees. I’ve adjusted and adjusted to get it to 90 degrees to the table, but within a few minutes of locking the fence in place, the fence has pulled slightly out of square. This happens whether I’m actually jointing a board or just lettting it sit. I get it exactly square, lock it in and boom, pulls out of square. So far, Grizzly tech support is no help.

Attachments

• IMG_0649.jpeg
    IMG_0649.jpeg
    749.5 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_0599.jpeg
    IMG_0599.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 42

jlimey

Jeff
Corporate Member
Anyone near Winston-Salem that’s willing to help me with a fence issue with a new Grizzly G0858? I’m about to pull my hair out trying to get the fence to stay square at 90 degrees. I’ve adjusted and adjusted to get it to 90 degrees to the table, but within a few minutes of locking the fence in place, the fence has pulled slightly out of square. This happens whether I’m actually jointing a board or just lettting it sit. I get it exactly square, lock it in and boom, pulls out of square. So far, Grizzly tech support is no help.
Is it out of square similarly on both sides of the cutters? If not, the fence may be twisted.

I had a grizzly with your same problem of maintaning square. I can stop by this weekend and see what we can decipher. I never solved my problem but upgraded to a larger shopfox and don't have a problem. That's my way of saying I may be helpful. :)

If someone is closer than burlington, feel free to help

buckaroo

Buck
User
I had a similar problem with a Grizzly G0771Z. The fence was OK when I got it, but shortly got to where it would not tighten the fence securely at all. I tinkered with all the available adjustments but what fixed it was plain old duct tape wrapped around the tab that is pusshed against the fence when you push down the locking lever. No problem sinv.e

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
Adam,
Something is not machined square or flat. What needs to be identified. I am sure it can be honed or scraped into alignment. Is the unit sitting firm on the floor? Are the tables flat and parallel planes? Might look at the seating surfaces of the locking knobs. Beast of a jointer though. There is not much to them once you get it right so it should be great. I had to do some shimming on my old Ridgid/Emerson 6 inch to get it dead on. Now rock solid.

I'm kind of a way out in Hillsborough, but maybe a committee analysis can help? I do have a verified 4' strait edge, dial indicators, feeler gauges etc.

Side comment, what kind of drive belt? Modern multi-rib ( good) or V belt? Chinese V belts are trash and run rough. A good Gates or D&D power will run a lot smoother.

Buck, I expect your table saw fence is similar to my Harvey. I polished the tab and cam, added a spring as sometimes the tab did not seat. Then you adjust both sides of the "T" in or out until you get proper tension on the cam. If I were to guess, the process of adjusting it square moved it too far to clamp.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors