Greetings From Winston-Salem

Willw21

New User
Will Whitaker
Hello everyone! My name is Will and I live in Winston-Salem. I have worked in the concert industry for many years, but have started to take time off from that to pursue other interests, one of which is woodworking. About a year ago I started working with a landscape design company here in WS building custom garden beds for them mainly from cedar. I have been around woodworking my whole life, my dad had a woodshop when I was growing up and made all sorts of things like cabinets, cedar chests, hammer dulcimers, toys, guitars, and checkerboards.

This past winter I converted a small shed on my property into a woodshop focusing more on hand tools. I became fascinated by vintage measuring and marking tools, and I wanted to get a few hand planes to complement my power tools. Where my shop sits in relation to other homes makes using power tools tricky with the noise and dust since I have to use them outside mainly due to space, so I started to read books and forums on hand tools. I bought a few vintage planes from various places and stumbled upon a No. 2 Stanley in a box of stuff I bought. It was in rough shape and was missing the lever cap and iron/chip breaker but replacements were easy enough to find. I was happy with using what I had, but finding that sent me on a quest to put a set of planes together, and I have now restored Stanley No's. 2-7 and I am working on a No. 8 right now and that's been a fun challenge. Since my woodworking journey has been mostly power tools up until now, I'm enjoying learning new things everyday about hand tools and its a great way to get some exercise for body and mind alike. I'll add a few photos of the planes I've restored and the No. 8 I'm working on now in my spare time for anyone interested in that sort of thing, I'd love to chat with you.

~Will

Attachments

• 20230408_215110.jpg
    20230408_215110.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 84
  • 20230408_215243.jpg
    20230408_215243.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 93
  • 20230410_102955.jpg
    20230410_102955.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 90
  • 20230411_104008.jpg
    20230411_104008.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 94
  • 20230411_112608.jpg
    20230411_112608.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 89
  • 20230411_112559.jpg
    20230411_112559.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 90

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
Welcome to the forum, if you’re interested a group of us get together for lunch once a month. We meet at the Moose Cafe at the farmers mark off of I-40 about 20 minutes east of the west side of Winston. It’ll be posted for this month pretty soon. Come on out and pay us a visit.

Willw21

New User
Will Whitaker
Welcome to the forum, if you’re interested a group of us get together for lunch once a month. We meet at the Moose Cafe at the farmers mark off of I-40 about 20 minutes east of the west side of Winston. It’ll be posted for this month pretty soon. Come on out and pay us a visit.
Thanks, I'll keep an eye out for the post!

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Welcome Will,

Nice work on the planes and you are lucky to find a #2 first thing. I’ve been buying planes for 25 years and haven’t found one yet.

I live about 20 miles North of WS in Walnut Cove near Hanging Rock State Park. If you get up that way I’d like to visit. Richard best to the Lunch invitation, but I’ll second it.

Willw21

New User
Will Whitaker
Welcome Will,

Nice work on the planes and you are lucky to find a #2 first thing. I’ve been buying planes for 25 years and haven’t found one yet.

I live about 20 miles North of WS in Walnut Cove near Hanging Rock State Park. If you get up that way I’d like to visit. Richard best to the Lunch invitation, but I’ll second it.
Thanks, Mike. I would be happy to visit sometime.

Rick_B

Rick
Corporate Member
Welcome - I am in WS also. I'm not much into hand tools but have some planes that I would like to learn about (restore/understand/learn to use) some day. It would be nice to have someone guide me down that path.

Rick

Raymond

Raymond
Staff member
Corporate Member
Welcome aboard, Will, as you can tell there are a lot of fellow members in your neck of the woods.

Wiley's Woodworks

Wiley
Corporate Member
Hey Will--The part of your introduction that intrigues me is your collection of hand planes and how you put it together. My ultimate goal is to accomplish what you did, but after a year of trying to find good user planes (I don't want or need display case trophies still in the box, never tuned up, never trued, etc.), I'm about to give up.

I don't have the skills or shop capability to do any significant metal work, and I don't have the time or gas money to run all over 6 counties looking at flea markets, estate sales, online postings, and every antique store along the road. In your accumulation of planes, do you have any duplicates? Ideally my set will include a 4, 5, 6 low angle, 7, shoulder plane, rabbet plane, low angle block plane, and maybe a router plane. Do you have any duplicates? I just want a quality set of working planes that work right now.

Willw21

New User
Will Whitaker
Hey Will--The part of your introduction that intrigues me is your collection of hand planes and how you put it together. My ultimate goal is to accomplish what you did, but after a year of trying to find good user planes (I don't want or need display case trophies still in the box, never tuned up, never trued, etc.), I'm about to give up.

I don't have the skills or shop capability to do any significant metal work, and I don't have the time or gas money to run all over 6 counties looking at flea markets, estate sales, online postings, and every antique store along the road. In your accumulation of planes, do you have any duplicates? Ideally my set will include a 4, 5, 6 low angle, 7, shoulder plane, rabbet plane, low angle block plane, and maybe a router plane. Do you have any duplicates? I just want a quality set of working planes that work right now.
I have extra No.s 3, 4 & 5 but they all need work. I do have a couple of block planes that are tuned and ready if interested in those. In addition to what Mike may have it could get you started at least.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors