Green Carving from Logs

Johnathon

J Flip
User
I've made several spatulas by cutting blanks from project scraps on my bandsaw and chiseling/spokeshaving. I'm waiting on a large gouge in the mail this week and want to do a couple of spoons. Then a neighbor had a large section of a pecan tree dropped and let me pick through it. I've got a few pieces about 14" in diameter and several smaller 3-4" limbs.

Are there any additional considerations for working with green logs that I should consider? What's the best way to get the wood to a workable state? (Split the logs until I can get it on my 14" bandsaw to cut blanks?) How do I avoid drying issues?

Thanks for the help y'all

PeteM

Pete
Corporate Member
Are you looking to make "users" or decorative spoons?
There are many videos on YouTube that show the many different ways to make spoons. Just watch a bunch and see which method fits your style.

Johnathon

J Flip
User
I have watched several ways, I'm inclined toward Paul Sellers method but I haven't seen a video of him prepping the stock, just carving from a square blank. Maybe I missed it though, his video library is huge.

And users.

PeteM

Pete
Corporate Member
My best tip would be "Don't overthink it".
It's not complicated.
Just grab a chunk of wood and start carving and you'll figure out what works best for you,

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
Don't limit your green wood work to just utensils. It makes good stools and chairs as well. Using the proper joinery, no glue is needed, and as the wood dries, it pulls the joints tighter and tighter. I have a green wood stool I made from oak that has been in my non-air conditioned shop for several years as my main seating, and is still solid as any traditional stool I have ever used.

(Pics of riving the billets and making the stool are two of the albums in my Gallery).

Johnathon

J Flip
User
Don't limit your green wood work to just utensils. It makes good stools and chairs as well. Using the proper joinery, no glue is needed, and as the wood dries, it pulls the joints tighter and tighter. I have a green wood stool I made from oak that has been in my non-air conditioned shop for several years as my main seating, and is still solid as any traditional stool I have ever used.

(Pics of riving the billets and making the stool are two of the albums in my Gallery).
Wow Mark, your gallery is really big. That's a good point though, I should probably paint the ends of some of this since I won't get to it for a little time and by then I might want to try some more furniture sized items.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors