Great Outreach event

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
The right number of Warriors and trainers and a great site and a very welcoming host (thanks Rick) makes for a great class

Here are the photos. Sure feels good to give back to such worthy folks

This is Dan, he was at that lathe all day
000_0017 4.jpg
This is Valerie with Wayne, Mike and Jeff. Valerie is not really that tall, she was standing on a platform
000_0004.jpg
Here is Valerie again making a band saw box
000_0009 2.jpg
Stephanie. What can I say, while we try for a one to one warrior/trainer ratio. As we say proof is in the picture
000_0003.jpg
Here is Anne proving you do not need two good arms to use a lathe. Way to go Anne
000_0015.jpg
And Sky is Anne's service dog. Great dog, loves wood shavings
000_0005.jpg
And our best helper, Jim's 8 year old daughter. And she actually liked to sand
000_0010.jpg
For those who have not yet joined this great team. Give us a try, you will be rewarded in so many ways

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
I think yesterday was one of the best sessions we've had. Seven Warriors, eight volunteers, and a great location/host(es) made for a wonderful day. Rick had everything ready for us and graciously provided anything we needed. But his wife was the real gem of the family. She baked lots of cookies and cakes for us, and then went for lunch. Thank you both for treating us so special. :eusa_danc

Among the Warriors, we had one in a wheel chair and one who could only use her left arm. This was the first real test of the special lathe stands Phil designed and built, and I'm happy to say they worked great. As you can see from the photos above, Dan had no problems working on the lathe. In the top photo he's working on a bowl (his second project). His first project was a very large 50 cal. bullet out of Walnut.

We weren't quite sure how someone w/ only the use of their left arm would handle the lathe, but Anne figured it out and made it work for her. She ended up making a pen. By the end of the day she had also cut out several patterns on the scroll saw, and made two band saw boxes. I think she, and all the Warriors, went home happy. In fact, either three or four from yesterday have already signed up for a future session. :icon_thum

In addition to a huge THANK YOU to Rick and his wife for taking such good care of us, I'd also like to thank all the volunteers who participated yesterday: Phil S, Mike Davis, Woodman2k, Acelectric, jtdums, mquan01, and shaf2376. Thank you all! ! ! :eusa_clap

And now, a HELP request: can one of the Admins (or someone) create a new album in the Gallery under Outreach for the pics from yesterday? Call it "1st Mooresville" (sounds kinda like a Civil War battle), or whatever. Then can everyone who took pics yesterday please upload them to that album. Thank you.

Bill

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
Wow, based on the pictures it looks like it was a great session. Glad we got to really test out the equipment and it was very successful.

Love it when a plan comes together. Great job one and all.

- Ken.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Looks like everything went off great. Any way we can get a press release or have these photos published along with an article in some regional periodicals? We could certainly use the exposure.

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
Dennis, Soon after the picnic I am hoping to announce a new promotional director for Outreach and if accepted I would predict good things. I will leave it at that for now. I have my fingers crossed.

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
I think yesterday was one of the best sessions we've had. Seven Warriors, eight volunteers, and a great location/host(es) made for a wonderful day. Rick had everything ready for us and graciously provided anything we needed. But his wife was the real gem of the family. She baked lots of cookies and cakes for us, and then went for lunch. Thank you both for treating us so special. :eusa_danc

Among the Warriors, we had one in a wheel chair and one who could only use her left arm. This was the first real test of the special lathe stands Phil designed and built, and I'm happy to say they worked great. As you can see from the photos above, Dan had no problems working on the lathe. In the top photo he's working on a bowl (his second project). His first project was a very large 50 cal. bullet out of Walnut.

We weren't quite sure how someone w/ only the use of their left arm would handle the lathe, but Anne figured it out and made it work for her. She ended up making a pen. By the end of the day she had also cut out several patterns on the scroll saw, and made two band saw boxes. I think she, and all the Warriors, went home happy. In fact, either three or four from yesterday have already signed up for a future session. :icon_thum

In addition to a huge THANK YOU to Rick and his wife for taking such good care of us, I'd also like to thank all the volunteers who participated yesterday: Phil S, Mike Davis, Woodman2k, Acelectric, jtdums, mquan01, and shaf2376. Thank you all! ! ! :eusa_clap

And now, a HELP request: can one of the Admins (or someone) create a new album in the Gallery under Outreach for the pics from yesterday? Call it "1st Mooresville" (sounds kinda like a Civil War battle), or whatever. Then can everyone who took pics yesterday please upload them to that album. Thank you.

Bill

I'll take this on. It may take a day or two as I have just came off of a great get away weekend in the mountains of North Carolina with my wonderful wife. Got some work headaches in the next couple of days, but I will get it done.

thesource

New User
Rick
This was one of those days that make you proud to be a human being.
I learned so much from the warriors. About myself and them. We all had a fantastic day. I'll host these as long as they want to come. Thank you to all of our service people and the volunteers from NCWW.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member

Bill

The sub-category is ready.

1st Mooresville

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
I would like to thank Mike Davis for taking care of the Album. I am currently snowed under at work and short handed. I appreciate his help. Been working some long hours.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS