Grandfather clock

Status
Not open for further replies.

lwhughes149

New User
Lorraine
I recently examined an old grandfather clock at a local thrift store. It caught my eye because it was fully staged with all the workings I expect to purchase if I ever get around to making that grandfather clock that is on my list of things to make. I estimate that I will spend between $400 and $500 on the the workings for the clock. I thought about buying the clock just for the workings but knew I wouldn't have the heart to take it apart and destroy the clock itself. What would you have done? If I bought it I would never get around to making one myself. BTW, I couldn't find a place in the house that would do it proud, thus the reason for not going back to the store. There was an even more attractive one there that wasn't working. the one I eyed was working.
The only reason I went into the store last week was to pick up a hand planer I had seen earlier. When I did pick it up this time I found that it didn't have a blade so the owner wouldn't sell it until he had a blade in it.

ChrisB

New User
Chris
Hi Lorraine,

I'm in a similar situation right now but with a mantle clock. I have a mantle clock that I've been want to make based on a picture of an antique and prefer to use an older movement and dial to give it some character and age. A friend of mine restores clock movements and he offered me an old Seth Thomas mantle clock that he recently acquired for a reasonable price. The clock is from the 1930's and is in acceptable condition so I'm a little reluctant to buy it for the movement and the dial and dispose of the case, though it's nothing super special. If the case were in bad shape I'd have no hesitation.

I think if I were in your shoes and was ready to start building the new grandfather clock I'd be willing to purchase the old clock for the parts and try to recycle the old case wood.

Just my 2 cents! :gar-Bi

Chris

Glennbear

Glenn
or you get a new movement from a place like this:

http://www.klockit.com/

A tall case clock is on my "someday" list also and I have seen that Klockit and other major vendors have several options for movements which are all over the price range depending on how "traditional" you want to be while respecting your wallet. Some of the all electronic movements are quite reasonable. :wsmile:

lwhughes149

New User
Lorraine
We can compare notes Glenn when it comes time to start this project. Thanks Scott for the site, I have only looked at catalogs that I have. I will certainly check the site. I just don't have it in my heart to take apart a good working clock for the parts which by the way could stop just about the time I got it completed. I have the wood stacked in the storage building waiting its turn to be used, mahagony no less.

dino drosas

Dino
Corporate Member
BUILD IT!!!

I always wanted to build a tall clock. Most all the designs I looked at were a bit too fancy for my taste. In 2003, an issue of American Woodworker featured a clock that was just what I was looking for. I immeditely got started and followed the plans and directions to the letter - imagine that! What I wound up with is a Walnut tall clock that is one of my favorite pieces that I built. I got my movement from www.merritts.com a Kieninger 8 day bell strike grandfather movementthat maintains accuracy within a minute a month. I remove the hood once a year for oiling and wind it every Sunday. This has been my only project that I ever built from a set of plans and was amazed how easy it went. I think about that every day when I see it, but still haven't made anything else from plans. Anyone interested in this article, let me know.

IMGP0188.JPG

View image in gallery

lwhughes149

New User
Lorraine
Yes, I would be interested in the plans. The movement within the middle of the clock wouldn't be something that I would have to have so your plan would be great. Thanks

danmart77

Dan
Corporate Member
http://greenlakeclock.com/products/

If you want to build a tall clock and you invest 100 hours of labor and you purchase high quality wood, you might want to consider a top of the line clockworks supplier. I have used Green Lake works and I can tell you -- they are a class operation.

I attended a clock making conference put on by Colonial Williamsburg and FWW a few years ago. At the conference, they had a member of the Green Lake Co. giving a presentation on how they duplicate the works of 18th century clocks. It was very impressive. This might be more serious than you want to try but -- take a look at their site and you might get some good ideas for your project.

dan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS