Grandfather clock

Status
Not open for further replies.

bpeck

New User
Brian
Well the clock has arrived safely from Arizona. I wish I could claim credit for having made this clock. The clock was made by my great great uncle, who lived in Tucson. There are apparently five clocks all seemingly made in the late 50s early 60s. The primary wood is mesquite with inlay in saguaro rib, ironwood and possibly cholla. It is hard to tell the difference sometimes between desert ironwood and mesquite, they are related and both have a wide range of color. Mesquite runs from a light yellowish brown to deep red brown. Ironwood runs from red brown to nearly black. Both woods are very hard. Ironwood has a much higher density and will actually sink in water, it is also sold by the pound rather than bf. Saguaro rib is very swiss-cheesy but quite strong. It forms the lattice around which the cactus grows. I have a walking stick that is a saguaro rib, and it has served me well for over 30 years. Cholla is much the same but comes in short pieces often used for lamps and the like.
I hate to think of how long all the inlay work took, although he seems to have created some form of mass production method.

Here are some pics and an image from the local paper .
clock-1.jpg

View image in gallery

Sorry about the quality, I need a camera that does better closeups.

ptt49er

Phillip
Corporate Member
That is amazing! I'm sure it will make a nice addition in your home!

On your camera, if you have a micro-mode (normally denoted by a flower symbol) it will take a lot better close ups.

I'm glad it arrived safely!

red

Papa Red
Red
Senior User
That is a beautiful piece of work by your uncle. I hope it stays in your family forever. Great story.

Red

Dragon

New User
David
If I recall......:eusa_thin.....I think there's a law that says you can't keep that.:eusa_naug You hafta bring it to me and I'll be real nice to it fer ya. :icon_thum

Very nice work there. I'm sure you're proud to have it in your home. Beautiful work of art and with history too, can't beat it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS