Good shop stool or chair?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don Sorensen

New User
Butch
Scroll saw work ( and several other of my hobbies ) require sitting at a workbench or assembly table.

Anybody recommend a good source and/or style?

I know I'd like to have a back rest, padded seat, swivel, and probably a foot ring if the stool is high enough to need it.

My finely tooned body actually overwhelms most pneumatic height adjusters so thats not needed.

woodlaker2

Ray
Corporate Member
I just bought Northern Tool's Pneumatic Shop Stool with Back (can be removed) for $42.49 (reg. $49.99). Having it delivered to their Fayetteville store so will save the shipping costs by pu in store. Didn't necessarily want one with someone's ad on it but it has the features I want (i.e., 29" ht, footrests, back, and it spins(wahoo!)). Cistomer ratings were pretty good if you believe them (gotta trust someone sometime). Should get it in 5-10 days. Can let you know how it runs then if you if you are interested.

You can find it on-line by going to Northern Tools site and going to the category garage and shop supplies and then on to shop stools/creepers, etc.

Good hunting.

bwat

New User
Bill
If you have an IKEA store nearby they have a few very reasonably priced options. I got a contoured foldable oak plywood model for around $25 with a foot rest and moulded ply back support. It is available in 2 heights too.

Woodcraft web site has their padded stool for 19.99 but without backrest.//

Don Sorensen

New User
Butch
I had Northern Tool on my list of places to check...and there's one on the way home....sounds like an excuse to me.

Now, if only they served beer.....

Berta

Berta
Corporate Member
I own the one from Northern, I like it and it was a whole lot cheaper than the one at Sears.

Don Sorensen

New User
Butch
They had two in stock at the Cary Northern Tool but none assembled. It does look like a pretty good stool, but I'd sure like to try one out, first. I'll be in Fayetteville this weekend - I'll have to see if they have one put together at the Fayetteville store. Otherwise, come next payday, I'll probably just go buy one anyway.

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
I have an office chair that I will give you. it's not tall like a stool so you would have to lower the scroll saw or build a base for it. it swivels, has wheels, hight adjustment and a back. I think the pic is still in my gallery. PM if interested.

Berta

Berta
Corporate Member
I live near Fayetteville, come on over this weekend and try mine out.:widea:

Len

New User
Len
I find a drafting stool (the one with five caster legs) works out quite well.

Len

PeteQuad

New User
Peter
I had the Northern Tool stool with the back and it was great, but the pneumatic part died on me and it became useless. However, I may have exceeded the weight limit ;). If you are large I would avoid it. Otherwise it was a good and comfortable stool when I used it.

Don Sorensen

New User
Butch
FredP - I appreciate the offer, but I'm set (er, fixated) on a stool type.

Berta - thanks for the offer - but I'll be lucky to get the free time to go to the store, let alone drive to Cameron (though it is a nice drive)

Len - good point - forgot about those....and they're about 3x the price of the Northern Tool stool....but I'll keep them in mind - Thanks!

PeteQuad - you nailed it....I have two "pneumatic" adjusted chairs in my computer room - both of them have been overwhelmed by my finely tooned body!

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Don

I too have had the tall Northern Tool stool for about 2 years. (Mine doesn't have a back and sometimes it wish it did.) I typically don't sit too long on it but is handy when sitting to do layouts etc.. The vinyl seat cover is not that great. It started to split after about 6 months of light use. Nothing a couple of layers of duct tape won't cure though!!:gar-Bi

I also have their low stool on casters and height adjust. I probably use it more to sit and adjust bit height at the router table, using my DT jig and scroll saw at a low table, working on the lawn mower etc.. It is handy!

HTH

Wayne

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors