GONE-Lie Nielsen Plane

Echd

C
User
I saw that this morning. Given the stock photo appearance and high quality of the images I'm guessing scam. He will want to be paid ahead of meetup or be "afraid" to meet in person because of covid or something and insist on a discreet venmo payment...

And I could be wrong, but if someone was going to sell a LN 4 in great shape for such a low price like that, they would give it away to someone they knew instead.

etout00

Erik
Senior User
lol….there is no way a legitimate owner of a Lie Nielsen would sell that for $40. Come on, that’s wishful thinking folks.

I’m sure they meant $400

Strom

Strom
Senior User
This won't last long...not mine.

Two weeks ago someone listed a LN 10 1/4 for 80.00. I bit and went all the way to the payment. She gave the impression she was in the service and could meet on Friday afternoon. I asked her to ship. She said I could pay half and the balance on receipt. This where I woke up. She did not have PayPal and asked for a Walmart payment . This is the scam.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
Or could be someone clearing out estate and has no idea what it is. If meetup and cash, as I have bought and sold some electronics, then maybe a great deal. Could also be hot, but that is pretty stupid.

One hint is the quality of the pictures.

Echd

C
User
Just as a FYI Jim Bode sold the same bronze Lie-Nielsen Bronze #4 for $565

That's crazy... desirable tool or not, they've been in and out of stock until recently and they only ("only") list for $350!

I'm not at all opposed to spending money on great tools, especially American made great tools, but I can't imagine any situation where I wouldnt just buy a brand new ductile iron 4, or a 4 1/2 or 5 1/2 for a lot less...

Robert LaPlaca

Robert
Senior User
That's crazy... desirable tool or not, they've been in and out of stock until recently and they only ("only") list for $350!

I'm not at all opposed to spending money on great tools, especially American made great tools, but I can't imagine any situation where I wouldnt just buy a brand new ductile iron 4, or a 4 1/2 or 5 1/2 for a lot less...
I own a LN #4 bronze, I use it all the time and as much as I love the plane. A number such as $565 has me wondering if I shouldn’t part with it.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
Thread 8 summarizes why I am happy with my Wood River. :)

But after getting their little pocket plane, I do have to upgrade my block plane. I can't say there is anything wrong with it. Sears with a Hock iron, but the little LN just works better. Can't really say how or why.

I do wonder, why are people trashing the new Sweetheart planes? It is half the price, is it missing that last 10% of enjoyment? In other words, no better than my cheap Sears as I can trim less than .01. The WR is a flip cap which I do not like.

ShortRound84

New User
ShortRound
Thread 8 summarizes why I am happy with my Wood River. :)

But after getting their little pocket plane, I do have to upgrade my block plane. I can't say there is anything wrong with it. Sears with a Hock iron, but the little LN just works better. Can't really say how or why.

I do wonder, why are people trashing the new Sweetheart planes? It is half the price, is it missing that last 10% of enjoyment? In other words, no better than my cheap Sears as I can trim less than .01. The WR is a flip cap which I do not like.

I replaced my WR flip cap with a LN 60 1/2. Much better size for what I wanted. Not having so much backlash in the plane controls really helps also.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
Saw a video comparison on a larger SH, not I see why they are getting beat up. If I were to guess, the designs are from some engineers who have never used a plane. Nice try, but tossed 100 years of experience out the window.

So, LV or Veritas. Both seem back in stock.

cyclopentadiene

Update your profile with your name
User
I have the new Stanley #6 SW and an older Stanley 1910 patent date and I really cannot tell a difference when both are sharp. The only difference is the new one is shiny metal and the older one is tarnished metal. I am not talented with hand tools so perhaps this is why I see no differences.

I also own the Stanley SW and. Lie Nielsen Block plane. There is no comparison. The LN was sharp, perfectly machines and ready to use out of the box. The Stanley SW took flattening the botton and sharpening before use. The LN holds an edge much longer, geels better in your hand and is much easier to adjust.

I have a stanley 151, a Record 151, a clifton rounded spokeshave and the Veritas spokeshave set. I use the 151 untli it gets sull as it feels better in the hands than the Veritas flat spokeshave. The record is exactly the same and #2 go to. The Veritas stays sharper 2-3 times linger but the handles tend to screw out when you are using. This is annoying hence my 3rd choice on flat ones. The Clifton is perfect in every category, I just rarely need a reoub blade spokeshave. Fortunately I have never had to sharpen it.

Last edited:

mdbuntyn

Matt
Staff member
Corporate Member
The ad has been deleted by the person who posted it, so the plane has presumably been sold.

If you'd like to continue your discussion on plane manufactures, I encourage you to start a new thread in the "Hand Tools and Their Use" section

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors