glue for corian

Status
Not open for further replies.

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
I know the dupont adhesive for this stuff isnt available to anyone not certified by dupont but thats irrelevant!:gar-La; a member here who cant get on right now needs some adhesive to glue 2 pieces of corian together. what would work? no seems. just gluing on a couple of pieces as nosing. any suggestions? CA? epoxy? needs to be white if possible. this stuff may or may not be corian brand by dupont but is basically the same stuff. any help is appreciated as always.

fred

cptully

New User
Chris
I would strongly suggest the following actions:

1) Go to DuPont's web site and get the MSDS (Material Safety Data Sheet). This will have some data that can help identify what their glue is made of. Send it to me if you have trouble understanding what it says. Also, they may have some info on what Corian or the glue is made of, which would help in selecting a substitute.

2) Failing number 1, cut several small samples and try different "glues" until you find one that works.

My best guess is that the actual Corian approved glue is an epoxy, because what I recall from seeing Corian machined is that glue joints are formed by leaving a gap between the two pieces and then filling it with the adhesive. Then sanding the joint smooth. For the DIYer, CA or solvent (Acetone or MEK - methyl ethyl ketone) may be a good choice. I would try these by getting the mating surfaces as smooth and flat as possible. Then "clamp" them together with masking tape, and allow the CA or solvent to wick into the joint by surface tension. This should leave a nearly invisible joint and require only a minimal amount of sanding to smooth it out.

Chris Tully

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
thanks pete and everyone who answered back so fast. :gar-La; i forwarded the link.:icon_thum my part is done! :rotflm:

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
thanks pete and everyone who answered back so fast. :gar-La; i forwarded the link.:icon_thum my part is done! :rotflm:

I have glued it with polyurethane glue. It works, but it is not as good as the actual stuff from dupont. It is very "brittle".

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
I have seen two types of "glue" used, one a special two-part epoxy and another similar to what is used to "solvent weld" Plexiglas (acrylic). The "solvent weld" adhesive is composed of one of the exotic plastic solvents like trichloroethane or ethylene dichloride, etc. that actually dissolves the mating faces and often contains some of the plastic material for thickening and coloring.

That being said. Dupont (Corian) doesn't sell to anyone who is not one of their certified fabricators or installers. But there are dealers and fabricators of similar materials that may sell the stuff. Check out dealers of Avonite, LG HI-MACS, Wilsonart, etc. like this place. The adhesive is not cheap- one listing was for $39 per 250 ml cartridge! They also sell surplus full sheets of Corian!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS