Glu-Bot

John Britton

John
User
My son gave me one of those Glu-Bot glue bottles. I love him for the gift, but, I have used it for near a year and I see no advantages over the TiteBond supplied bottle. First the plastic is so stiff that I cant squeeze it enough to get the glue up to the spout. Second, the glue dries in the small tip in spite of the captive cover; forcing you to cut the tip to the next size hole. Soon the tip is oversize for even dispensing.
Am I out in left field, or do you guys have similar issues with the Glu-Bot?

Rushton

Rush
Senior User
I'll be the contrarian here... I've use the Glu-Bot constantly over many years with Titebond PVA glue. Yes, the tip will get build-up in it that dries and gradually clogs it. But the glue does not adhere to the plastic from which the Glu-Bot is made. Don't cut the tip, simply pry out or pull out the dried residue. After three or four refills, I wash it out completely before the next refill. I find it works best when kept more than half full. For me, it works well and I continue to use it.

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
I'll be the contrarian here... I've use the Glu-Bot constantly over many years with Titebond PVA glue. Yes, the tip will get build-up in it that dries and gradually clogs it. But the glue does not adhere to the plastic from which the Glu-Bot is made. Don't cut the tip, simply pry out or pull out the dried residue. After three or four refills, I wash it out completely before the next refill. I find it works best when kept more than half full. For me, it works well and I continue to use it.

I'm with Rush on this one. Regarding prying or pulling out the dried glue on/in the tip: I have several old dental picks that work great for that job. Another option is to take the cap off and drop in in a cup of water overnight. Next day, blow compressed air through it to clean it out. Your Glu-Bot should have come with extra tips/caps so it won't be left open overnight.

As for the Glu-Bot itself, I've been very satisfied with mine. I'm on my second one and have a third ready to go if this one wears out. I guess I just like the way it feels in my hand and the angle of the spout when I apply the glue. The pull-up, spout-on-top, bottles just seem awkward when I hold them upside down.

HITCH-

Hitch
Corporate Member
I wonder if there is any correlation between the volume of glue used and the likes/dislikes?
Maybe the folks that like it are using it more often and have less issues with glue drying out?
I do not have one myself.

Echd

C
User
I've gotten a couple for free, normally from taytools. I just use them when I buy a gallon of glue. I don't think I'd spend the money otherwise.

I should try one of those bottles with the roller built it though.

Stuart Kent

Stuart
Senior User
We have tried them at the Furniture School, it's just another glue bottle in our opinion. Use the one you like, save some money

Rwe2156

DrBob
Senior User
Anything is better than the Titebond tip 😆😆

I have several GluBots. They are OK but if you don’t use them for a while the glue will gel up even down the outlet tube, which is a pain to clean out.

You definitely should buy replacement tips when you buy the bottle.

I use standard squeeze bottles a lot. You have to keep them at least half full or you do the Heinz ketchup thing.

I often use small cups when I’m using a brush. I get the medicine cups the hospitals use. I stick them to the worktop with double back tape.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
I prefer standard squeeze bottlers. Titebond bottles inner tip does not extend enough and they clog more than my one glue-bot. At least I don;t lose the cap off the glue-bot.
Never had to cut the tip. I keep a little dental pick to clean things out.

PhilErup

PhilErup
User
The Glu-Bot's plastic is way too stiff, and don't even get me started on the tip drying out. TiteBond's bottle just feels smoother to use, you know? But hey, gotta appreciate the sweet gesture from your son.

mpholway

Board of Directors, Events Director
Matt
Staff member
Corporate Member
I agree with Bill C. Keep it more than 1/2 full and keep the tip clean and it works well for me. I keep two going all the time: TB II in one and TB III in the other.

NCGrimbo

NCGrimbo
Corporate Member
In the past, when I know I'm doing a large project and buy a gallon of glue, I use the bot for glue application. Then any remaining glue goes back into the gallon jug and I wash out the bot. But for most projects, I'm not buying a gallon jug, so I just use the glue out of the bottle it comes in.

dotBob

.bob
Senior User
I started out using it wrong. I finally realized it was easier to squeeze it while it was vertical, release the squeeze, then tilt it to apply (squeezing gently). Then I finally liked it.

Railrunner73

New User
Chris
I've have both the large and small Glu-Bot. Haven't had any luck with either one. Just bought a bottle of Gorilla wood glue and the tip seems like an improvement. We'll see. I am done with the Glu-Bot.

HITCH-

Hitch
Corporate Member
French's mustard lids will fit the Titebond bottles. There is no need to transfer the glue (first video clip)
You can also lock the French's lid open. (second video clip )
Dollar Tree sometimes has the French's mustard in stock.
I wonder how well the Titebond lid would work for mustard? 🤔😉

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS