Getting back in the shop- work table build

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cato

New User
Bob
So as summer comes to a close I suddenly found myself wanting back in the workshop and I needed a work table for assembly and glue up space.

Also since getting the jointer and planer in the spring I wanted to try my hand milling and getting some experience making a table top as I want to try my hand at a couple of small tables for our screen porch.

Here are some pics of my progress. Base out of 2x6's that I ran thru the jointer for tight fits, and the top is 5/4 ash.

P1010051.jpg

Base didn't take long to cut and assemble, but wow milling ash and learning to get boards flat, square, and the same finished thickness, well I have been surprised at the amount of work but pleased with the progress.
Here is the milled lumber for the top
P1010059.jpg

and here are the panels that have been glued and now have two more glue ups to join the whole table top. Man, keeping everything aligned and tight is a challenge. Flatness I hope will be close, but I'm sure I'll have to learn some hand planing skills to get it nice and flat.
P1010073.jpg

P1010071.jpg

So, now I am wondering once all the panels are together if I am going to have to screw a couple of braces underneath across the width to keep the panels true, or will all that glue hold it together??

Table top is finishing out at 35 1/2 W x 71 1/2 L. Should be fairly heavy, and I know I am going to have to flip it to scrape off the glue from the underside.

All in all though it is fun to be back in the shop making sawdust.

jhreed

james
Corporate Member
Looks good Bob. Milling your own wood is rewarding and saves money at the same time. I see your Ridgid jointer, but did not see a planer.
James

Cato

New User
Bob
James, planer is DW735 under a cover just beyond the work table. I indexed the boards with biscuits for alignment and covered it to keep the chips from blowing into the planer bed.

Really like the planer and the quality of work that it produces.

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
If it were mine, I'd put about 3 cross braces just to make it stiffer. Never know what will wind up laying on the top!

Frame looks sturdy enough. Nice job.

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
If it were mine, I'd put about 3 cross braces just to make it stiffer. Never know what will wind up laying on the top!

+ 1 on the cross braces, just to be on the safe side. And don't forget to allow for wood movement when you attach the top to the base. That Ash top will expand and contract somewhat. The grain in that Ash really looks nice. :icon_thum

Bill

Cato

New User
Bob
Thanks for the comments and I do think I will feel a little more comfortable with some cross bracing on it as well. Just to be on the safe side, plus they could act as cleats to attach to the base.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS