Gerstner chest

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
I got one at eBay but I don't know the specific model. I've sent an email to Gerstner USA for a model identification. I'll send a few pics if they'll finally upload.

Dimensions: 20"l x 9.5" w x 15.75" high; the weight is about 26# and the drawer bottoms are metal.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
I have no use for a Gerstner cabinet but I bought out of curiosity! Its in decent shape from what I've seen online!

The folks at Gerstner said my chest is a model 42 (oak) made about 1936-1959 (sent them the outside dimensions and a few pics for the id).

Interesting. The carcass construction is 1/2" t with the drawers about 3/8" t (metal bottoms). The drawers use a "drawer lock joint" which is similar to a locked rabbet but making joints in 3/8" t material seems hard to do to me.

https://www.wwgoa.com/video/making-drawer-lock-joint-015588/

Pics

P1010053.png

P1010052.png

P10100481.png

The front locking lid (pic 2) has metal pins that insert in the front lower corners of the cabinet.

P1010050.png

Last edited:

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
If you have no use for it would you like to sell it?

I would be be interested depending on the price.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
I don't know yet, it's only been here for a few days. It's not really dirty and grimy and I'm going to try cleaning it up with MS, citrus solvent, or Murphy's Oil Soap and maybe add a coat of wax.

I've got $690 in it including shipping so far.

If you have no use for it would you like to sell it?

I would be be interested depending on the price.

Jak3

New User
Jacob
Any of y'all know where I might could find plans for a tool chest similar in size/appearance?

bobsmodels

Bob
Senior User
I used to collect these before folks decided they were worth a lot of money. I still have over 20 of them, mostly being used. Some added info on age dating, the earlier oak ones were almost exclusively quarter sawn wood. Then they used the quarter sawn for only the drawers. Towards the later dates they used no quarter sawn at all. I cannot tell from the photos but yours looks like a later version. Instead of the box joints I have a real early one that used dovetail joints.
Yours looks to be in nice shape. I have one filled with chisels, another with rules and measuring tools. Just put it in the shop and soon it will have all the little stuff that disappears in other large drawers or boxes. They made a dental version that has deeper drawers.

Bob

Jeff

New User
Jeff
on age dating, the earlier oak ones were almost exclusively quarter sawn wood. Then they used the quarter sawn for only the drawers. Towards the later dates they used no quarter sawn at all. I cannot tell from the photos but yours looks like a later version. Instead of the box joints I have a real early one that used dovetail joints.

Thanks Bob. I don't see any quarter sawn wood on my chest and agree that the chest looks like a later version (Model 42 was made from 1936-1959).

TENdriver

New User
TENdriver
Oh man, You had to mention the mirror and possibly open that Pandora’s box!

Why couldn’t you mention something simple and non-inflammatory like the “grassy knoll” in Texas?:nah:

Actually, I’m no Gerstner expert, but the mirror is a common element of these chests.

Richo B

New User
Richo
That's a nice chest you bought. I'm glad my other thread inspired you. I've always wanted a chest like this but not being a machinist I just couldn't justify it. But getting one for free was just as good.

Richo B

New User
Richo

CDPeters

Master of None
Chris
Contact Chris (CDPeters) at NCWW. He made a Gerstner style knock-off about 2 years ago. He designed his in SketchUp following some Gerstner general info.

https://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/showthread.php?t=60030

http://www.ncwoodworker.net/pp/showgallery.php?cat=2997&page=3

I uploaded the Sketchup drawing of the one I built (in fact, it's still stuck at the finishing stage waiting for me to get back to it!). I think the file is awaiting moderator approval. There is also an album of the build in my gallery (Jeff linked it above).

It was a fun (but complicated) build. Maybe I'll find the round-toit and finish it up soon...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS