Gatsby from PSI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eaglesc

New User
Eagle
I haven't posted much lately but have been busy in the shop doing some custom work.
I had an order for this pen from a customer who has two others.
One of the others is simlar to this a Gatsby in Rhodium.
This kit was introduced by PSI late last year.It is similar to Bereas "Sierra"
I never cared for the Sierra for 2 reasons.
The "turnable portion" is only 2&1/4" long and since I Don't turn much other than glue ups there isn't much of my "in put" to show off.
The other thing is the fittings on the Sierra are mismatched (Cut and beaded)
Another consideration is price.
This is a Rhodium plated "kit" and the single unit price is $9.45.The comparable platinum from Berea(Arizona Silouhette) is $12.65.
The TN gold has comparable savings but I don't care for the "Tn" inscription PSI puts on their Tn gold clips.
A friend picked up a dead center from Grizzly and sent it to me.
This is the first pen I have turned not using the mandrel.
It is a nice option for the single tubed kits. I don't know if I will like it for 2 piece pens as I like to see both sections at once while turning.
Gatsby_antler_MArshall.jpg

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Eagle I agree with Tom. The antler looks great with that kit. Tell us more about turning between centers. Did you have to take lighter cuts or did the centers provide enough friction to keep everything spinning wel? I would be afraid that they would act like a wedge flairing the tube if too much pressure was applied.
Dave:)

Eaglesc

New User
Eagle
Turning between a dead and live center is a breeze.
One of the methods I Use to drill antler is to turn it between a "steb" type center and live center.I then drill with a BEall collet.
The antler or other blank is already round when I start to turn it.
I hone my tools on a diamond stone rather than grind so the cutes are effortless.
Even if the bushing "mushroomed" as you put it, it would not effect the blank due to the fact the point does not penetrate into the bushing that far.
In truth there was more "Slippage" when I started to sand than while turning, but a lighter touch made the difference.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Ah ha, for some reason I wasn't picturing between center turning using the bushings. That makes a lot more sense now.
Dave:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS