Gasoline Powered Generator to LP?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rick7938

New User
Rick
Anyone converted their gasoline powered generator to LP? How do you like it? Who can do it here in NC?

I have a Coleman Powerback 5500 watt generator with Tecumseh 10 hp pull-start motor. I start it once a month, but it can still be a pain to start occasionally. I am hoping that with LP, it will be a little easier to start, plus I have a big tank outside that would power one for a long time.

Thanks for any feedback.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Check with the small engine distributors & parts warehouses in your area. There is a carburetor conversion kit available for these applications. Many RV setups use LP gas for their generators, usually Onans (no relation to DaveO).:gar-Bi
I once had a hydraulic jackhammer that used a LP gas powered pump for indoor use. Be advised you'll need a larger tank than the average outdoor grill would use, but if you're looking at an emergency setup, that's not such a bad idea.
Come to think of it, I may look for one myself too!

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Not only will you need a new carb, but most likely a new exhaust valve and hardened valve seat. I would keep an eye out for a "junk" Tech. motor with electric start from which you could rob the flywheel and starter. I wouldn't worry about the charging parts. Just get an old car battery, and a "float charger" from HF to keep the battery charged. Electric start beats the heck out of "pull start."

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
I have not converted mine, but I do have an LP powered generator as a standby unit for our house, and am very pleased with it. The nice thing about LP is that it does not go bad. The biggest drawback is that you can't refill it yourself if you have an extended outage.

My unit is about 5000 watts, and I get about 3.5 days of run time from a 100 gallon lp tank.

ehpoole

Ethan
I am planning to upgrade my 15KW Generac generator from gasoline to natural gas in the next year. There are several sources online that sell conversion kits with bolt-on carburetor replacements specific to your generator model. You will also usually have to attach a second module to the frame somewhere that includes the pressure regulator and related extras. Most kits will convert the generator to run on either natural gas or propane simply by switching the hose inlet (some require a change in orifice). Some kits will also preserve your generator's ability to run on gasoline as well, resulting in a tri-fuel conversion.

In my case, with gas heat, hot water, stove top and two fireplace inserts, I will probably have to have the gas company upgrade our meter to handle the extra demand of the generator, but it will be nice not to have to make twice a day trips to the gas station (I have about 30-32 or so hours of gasoline on hand, but after that the generator needs topping off twice per day).

FYI, The site whose conversion kit I've most studied is the following:

http://www.propane-generators.com/

I have not yet done any business with them, so please don't consider this an endorsement as yet.

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
For a generator that will be dedicated to standby duty for a home, I would suggest propane only instead of tri-fuel (or if you opt for tri-fuel don't put any gasoline into it unless you absolutely have to - that will keep the varnish out of the carb).

One other suggestion - put a "pulse type" battery charger on it. Northern sells Battery Minder brand chargers for about fifty bucks. These are the type of charger that you can leave on it for years w/o damaging the battery (and will also prevent sulfite buildup on the battery plates).

ehpoole

Ethan
For my 15KW Generac generator, which is still gasoline powered for the moment, I always add a 2-year dose of fuel stabilizer (4oz of Stabil per 5 gallons gasoline) to all my gasoline at time of purchase -- as well as the gasoline we use for our lawn mower, edger, pressure washer, etc. That alone makes a huge difference with respect to varnish buildup.

When I make the conversion on my generator it will be to natural gas since we already have natural gas to our household -- an essentially unlimited fuel source. That said, I may lose some of the generator's reserve capacity while on natural gas versus propane or gasoline, but for the convenience (and with 15KW available) that modest tradeoff is acceptable to me.

I keep a 1.5A float charger on the generator battery 24/7 to help ensure the battery is always topped off and ready to go since months can elapse between starts. I also replace the battery every four years regardless of whether it is showing signs of aging or not since a dead battery is a major inconvenience.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS