G3 Chuck Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flute Maker

Mike
User
I purchased one of the G3 Nova chucks when they were on sale last yr. I havent been able to get around to using it until now....

I tried to put the jaws on and unless Im doing something wrong all the screws are too long...Even without the jaws they will not screw in enough,,...I went by the directions ..simple as they were...putting #1 to #1 ..#2 to #2 etc and put them all on finger tight and then screwed the chuck until they touched , tried again and they still were too long ....Has anybody had this trouble...Any help is appreciated !!

Gunslinger

New User
Mike
I tried to put the jaws on and unless Im doing something wrong all the screws are too long...Even without the jaws they will not screw in enough,,...I went by the directions ..simple as they were...putting #1 to #1 ..#2 to #2 etc and put them all on finger tight and then screwed the chuck until they touched , tried again and they still were too long ....Has anybody had this trouble...Any help is appreciated !!
I have three Nova chucks and the screws are the same on all of them. M6 X 10
Even without the jaws they will not screw in enough.... Screw in enough to do what?
If the jaws are not seated on the "locating ring" properly they would be too short so I'm not sure. The screw head should seat below the surface of the chuck jaws. I took out one of mine and they are about 3/8" long total, give or take a hair. In all three of my Nova chucks the screws are stamped on the outside of the head "Nova 601"
I have never heard of this before so I don't know what to suggest.

Flute Maker

Mike
User
My screws total length is 3/4"..... Just the threads are 5/8" long....... .When I tried a screw w/o the jaw there was more than the thickness of the jaw left..

Gunslinger

New User
Mike
Wish I knew what to suggest. If they are not stamped Nova then I can only assume someone else bought the chuck, swapped the screws, and returned it. Maybe you can call the store where you purchased them or call Teknatool in Fl and possibly get free replacements.
I have heard many hardware stores (Ace, etc) carry M6 screws. The 10 is the diameter of the head I believe. Most people state they had to grind the heads down a little to get them to recess in the jaws as most sold are 12mm heads.
Good luck, what a pain for a simple little screws.

Gunslinger

New User
Mike
Out of curiosity I did some more checking. The only place I could find longer screws were with the cole jaws. They have M6X20 for mounting another chuck (like the 50mm) on top of the cole jaws and M6X16 for mounting the bumpers. Did you possibly buy a set of cole jaws also?

I was probably wrong about the 10 being the diameter of the head, it is probably the length so the M6X20 would be twice as long.
Maybe the factory mixed them up in packaging. The one for the cole jaws would be twice as long...about the same length as you stated yours are.

Flute Maker

Mike
User
I found some short screws that were in with the worm screw..The threads on them were only 1/4" long .They will work but it looks like they should be longer. I got some mini cole jaws and some pin jaws in the promotional package ..Thanks for your help...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors