FWW comment

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
Decades back FWW would print an article and also offer a VHS tape on the article. That was pretty forward thinking at the time but because of the extra expense, the practice was abandoned. Some of those old tapes are still around on the internet.

Paul Roman's original idea was to sell articles, not advertising. That ideal resulted in wonderful articles in the early years and a very successful magazine. He eventually retired and his children took over. By then the realm of communication had expanded and changed. Their only play was to repeat the same old articles using some new tool that had come on the market.

I think now that Youtube is so prevalent, magazines are not as necessary as they once were.

Roy G

Roy
Senior User
If FWW is trying to appeal to all levels of woodworkers, why do they show using a 12" jointer to smooth the face of a board and then go to a 18" planer to get the thickness? Do all beginning woodworkers have that kind of equipment?

Roy G

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
Most if they have it at all have a six inch jointer and a lunchbox planer. Now there are some with deep pockets who do start out with the best of the best. There isn’t anything wrong with either. I primarily work with hand tools. I have discovered a few things doing this crazy hobby of ours. There is more than one way to do all of this and The wood doesn’t care.

smallboat

smallboat
Corporate Member
Back in the day I had a negative opinion of Wooden Boat magazine. My opinion as a wise old 20 something was that it presented “boats as jewelry”; whereas I appreciated boats for their utility.

Time has passed and I find I enjoy picking up an issue now and then. Will I ever subscribe, highly doubtful. But I appreciate the fact that they‘ve managed to keep alive interest in a craft that was disappearing fast. Nowadays I look to them out of curiosity, not for authority. I can learn techniques or just enjoy a passion project someone has taken on. Do they publish things I’m not interested in? Sure. But I don’t feel the need to bash the character or editorial choices of the staff.

Similar to the content here.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS