Future Turning Bowls!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrAudio815

New User
Matthew
Hey Everyone,

Just want to say to Mark (Gofor), Thank You, You Rock!
:notworthy: :eusa_clap :icon_cheers :gar-Bi :icon_thum :banana: :notworthy: :eusa_clap :icon_cheers :gar-Bi :icon_thum :banana:

Today, ah man :BangHead: (Late poster disease) :BangHead: Well yesterday, Saturday, Had a Grrreat Time at Mark's house, He cut me up some Beautiful looking Maple & Pecan logs for Bowl Blanks, :notworthy: :banana:! We had some wonderful conversations, always enjoy talking with him, He showed me his property and all the other trees he can get, And gave me a few pieces of HSS steel bit's for some more Oland tools :banana: :banana:! ! !

Thanks Mark! ! !

Here's the Proof Guys:
Oh Yeah will have plenty to do for a while, will need to search to see how long to wait as they are quite wet still. But am off to bed now.

Mark & I were wondering if the pith would split in this Pecan even though the growth rings are so close together & the same going out! Or do all pith's just crack, fall out, etc? Just wondering if I should try doing a natural edge bowl, and the bottom pith falling out, cracking the whole thing? Or will CA glue fix that problem!

I Really like the look of the figure in this one! :gar-Bi

The Bit's! :icon_cheers
Hey Earl the 2nd bit form the right will fit that thin parting bit from HF. :icon_cheers

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Nice score Matthew. :eusa_danc You can cut some of the pith out with the chainsaw if you want to. I haven't done any green turning yet, but I think you are supposed to seal the ends of the logs with something so they don't crack. Not sure what it is, but someone will chime in shortly with it. Looking forward to seeing what you make out of them. :icon_thum

Trent

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
It was my pleasure, Matt. Always happy to see wood go to more than the fire pit!!

Trent: We sealed the ends of the logs with Klingspor's Sealtite as soon as the first surface moisture flashed off. The ends of the pecan were originally sealed when we cut the tree, but were still seeping a lot of water, so I ended up with mold growing on them. When we recut them yesterday, they had dried enough that we didn't have water droplets forming on the ends.

Go

MrAudio815

New User
Matthew
Matthew - great score man - can't wait to see what you turn out of those

I can't either, I am so Excited!:banana:

Some of the pieces are calling my name and I have some cool ideas :widea: for it!
But before I just jump into it, I have to search more about the pith, and turning green wood and how to finish them.

I started turning one of JimmyC's Wormy maple blanks and it started to crack in a few spots, :BangHead: didn't have any CA :slap: so I grabed the super glue.

Just don't want the pecan or maple bowls to crack.:no:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS