Fun with Cherry Burl...

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
So y'all have read my inquiry about turning rough Cherry burl to maximize the figure. Thanks for all the advice, I actually followed some of it :)
I had a piece that had been chained sawed flat(ish) on both sides. So I decided to pull the largest core out of it that I could to miss the voids and most of the bark. I got about a 6½" diameter blank after bandsawing it -

Cherry_Burl_Bowl_002.jpg

I started to mount it in my usual method with a Woodworm screw into what would be the top of the bowl. But due to the angle of the chain sawed face it didn't chuck up straight. So I remembered some advice given and used my spur center to drive it, which allowed me to angle the piece so I could get the most out of it -

Cherry_Burl_Bowl_003.jpg

It ran pretty true so I started to rough out the outside into a true cylinder and started to shape it into a bowl -

Cherry_Burl_Bowl_004.jpg

Due to turning this between centers I was unable to remove the tail stock. So I couldn't use my preferred recess chucking method so I had to turn a tenon. I did this with my parting tool -

Cherry_Burl_Bowl_005.jpg

Once I had the tenon turned I finished shaped the outside, sanded and slathered on the BLO -

Cherry_Burl_Bowl_007.jpg

I used a handsaw to remove the little nub left where the live center was and reversed in into my chuck, ready to hollow out the inside -

Cherry_Burl_Bowl_008.jpg

I forgot to take a picture of the hollowing process, but take my word for it shavings were flying.
Once I got the inside gone and the rim trued up, I reversed it again and chucked it in my Cole jaws so I could turn off the mangled tenon (the main reason I like a recess) -

Cherry_Burl_Bowl_009.jpg

A little more BLO and some paste wax and here she is. I'm not very happy with the form it's too tall (4½") for it's diameter (5½") but I worked with what I had. The wall thickness could have been thinner, it's about ¼", but it started to go oval on me as soon as I had the bulk of the inside hollowed out. And I wasn't 100% sure that the tenon chucking would hold if I tried to go thinner.

Copy_of_Cherry_Burl_Bowl_010.jpg

Copy_of_Cherry_Burl_Bowl_018.jpg

Copy_of_Cherry_Burl_Bowl_014.jpg

And for you "bowl bottom checkers" a baby smooth bottom -

Copy_of_Cherry_Burl_Bowl_021.jpg

The burl figure is amazing, I am so glad that I turned it with the bark to the bottom and took away most of the normal trunk section. I can get lost in the figure in this bowl. I am sure my pics don't do it justice.
I am now a bigger burl fan than before. On this piece my usual nemiss...end grain tear-out, didn't even poke it's ugly head out, because there is no real end grain in burl.

Thanks for looking!

Dave:)

flyrod444

New User
Jack
Looks great DaveO. I forgot to tell you that cherry burl turns like butter and the smell is wonderful. That is about as pretty a burl is you will find.
Jack

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Bowl Bottom Checkers:dontknow::dontknow:.

Every woodturner I know first picks up a bowl and flips it over to see if you can tell how it was chucked. I've been told the sign of a good turned bowl, besides holding soup, is that no one can tell how it was held on the lathe. Bowl Bottom Checkers :icon_thum:icon_thum

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
you can do a recess between centers with a parting tool but then you gotts clean it up after reversing anyway.:gar-La; you are better off with the tenon IMO because green cherry burl tends to bust out when you expand the jaws in the recess. at least thats been my experience. :dontknow: by the way that big hole cutout on the BS will make some real nice pens! but I am sure you knew that!:gar-La; great lookin bowl!:icon_thum

woodArtz

New User
Bob
That is a very nice bowl Dave. You are making me want to get started on some of my burl. Looks like you made a good choice on the blank. Great job dude! :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Excellent job Mr. Miagi! :rotflm: Thanks for letting the grasshoppa stop by and learn some more today. It was a great afternoon. :eek:ccasion1

Trent

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Very!, Very! nice work, Dave!!!:icon_cheers:icon_cheers:icon_cheers:icon_thum:icon_thum:icon_thum

Both the nice chunk of burl and the new lathe really cooperated with your talent today.:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

Thanks for sharing the "blow-by-blow". I for one sure appreciate the process education.:icon_thum

Wayne

NCTurner

Gary
Corporate Member
Dave,

Looks great! Probably better off with the tenon anyway, but as previously stated you can turn the reccess between centers. How wet was this burl still? Hope you don't have any major movement. Also noted that it isn't signed, a piece of work that nice, outta be signed!! Would love to see you do some blind hollowing on some of that burl.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Dave,

Looks great! Probably better off with the tenon anyway, but as previously stated you can turn the reccess between centers. How wet was this burl still? Hope you don't have any major movement. Also noted that it isn't signed, a piece of work that nice, outta be signed!! Would love to see you do some blind hollowing on some of that burl.

Gary this is definitely green burl, it turned so well. This piece might warp/crack. But I don't have the patients to turn large and wait to dry for a final turning. I tried to sign it but the paste wax took off my sig. There is still a DO showing. I hope you got some of this burl. It's good stuff.

MrAudio815

New User
Matthew
DaveO WOW,

Just WOW, I mean that is truely one Gorgeous looking Bowl. The figure mesmerizing, and like you said, you sure can get lost in it, Even though the pictures may not due it justice, I am in Awe!!! Great Job.

I can't wait to have a lesson from you!!! If the offer is still there?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS