Fuji mini mite

Status
Not open for further replies.

chris_goris

Chris
Senior User
So, I needed to paint a bunch of cabinets and what better time to get into HVLP?. So , I did some research and determined for my use the Fuji mini mite system was the one for me (me, no one else). It arrived and was nicely packed with everything required to spray. I even bought the additional "whip" hose, I cant imagine using this thing without it. I am brand new to spraying fine finishes but I did alot of reading etc and dove right in. I am spraying a cream white color Sherwinn Williams ProClassic Alklyd paint. It only required minor thinning to get it to spray nicely and uniformly. Let me tell you, if youve never tried spraying or are unsure, dont be! These things will make even a paint hack like me look like I know what Im doing. But, preperation is key. I spent FOREVER priming, sanding, patching,priming, sanding… well you get it. in the end this thing laid down paint glass smooth easily. Now for the bad. I was using it for the fourth time today and the trigger which controls the airlflow started sticking, so only air was coming out of the gun while the trigger was not depressed. I was able to finish by "snapping" the trigger to get it to close, but it was extremely frustrating and annoying. When I finished, thankfully this problem occurred near the end of my spray job, I cleaned the gun as I always did and then dismantled the air/trigger mechanism. There is a hollow shaft with a llrger diameter piston valve that passes through 2 plastic lip seals that is spring returned that was hanginging up. This is not in an area where paint gets to, so the problem isnt a dirty gun. There is too much friction between the shaft and the seals for the spring to overcome (apparently over time) to shutoff airflow. I put some light oil on it and reassmebled it, but it didnt help. I will be calling Fuji on Monday!. The other poor design flaw I noted was a secondary "diaphragm" inside the paint cup (I have the T model gun) that is sandwiched between the gun body and cup seal causing a very poor sealing condition between the 2. This I will also mention when I talk to them on Monday. I will follow up on Monday with the outcomes. Has anyone else expereinced this with a Fuji?.

Barry W

Co-Director of Outreach
Barry
Corporate Member
Chris, Thanks for detailing your experience with the Fuji Mini Mite system. I have considered buying this system and am interested in how you resolve your problems. It seems you have had an overall good experience with the Fuji system, I hope Fuji can easily fix your problem. By the way, which model do you have: 2804, 2803, 2904 2903? Good luck!

-Barry

JimD

Jim
Senior User
I have a mini mite 3 and have sprayed several gallons of finish through it without incident. I have two cups and keep one full of water. When I finish spraying, I start running water through it. Typically 3 guart cups (I don't spray the whole quart but change it out a couple times). Then I let it drip dry while waiting for the coat to dry.

I haven't replaced seals or anything. I do get a little finish weeping out sometimes when I tilt the gun, maybe it is leaking at the top.

Mostly I've sprayed resisthane but I've used other water based finishes. No latex so far. When I made plantation shutters, I sprayed white primer and then white tinted resisthane.

chris_goris

Chris
Senior User
2903-T70-MM3-Web.jpg
Chris, Thanks for detailing your experience with the Fuji Mini Mite system. I have considered buying this system and am interested in how you resolve your problems. It seems you have had an overall good experience with the Fuji system, I hope Fuji can easily fix your problem. By the way, which model do you have: 2804, 2803, 2904 2903? Good luck!

-Barry

Barry , Its the 2903

chris_goris

Chris
Senior User
I promised a Monday update and here it is… Called them first thing, tech support line went to voicemail, said leave a message, so I did. Waited 2 hours, seemed reasonable, so I called back, went to VM again. Didnt leave a message this time. Im an impatient sort when it comes to customer service and premium brands (what else are we paying for?) so I went to their website and sent an email asking if anyone answers the phones there. Got a response within 20 mins or so saying its a national holiday in Canada, they were closed (Victoria Day). The tech support person asked to describe my issue so I did. I receieved a boilerplate reply about cleaning the gun. Now Im starting to get annoyed after I described the issue in detail, with pictures and arrows telling him that it was not a dirty gun causing my issue, this was on the clean side of the air. I further explained my disdain for the cup sealing issue as well. All I received back from him after that was to please call the tech support line Tuesday. Not what I expected from a premium brand to say the least. More to follow tomorrow I guess….

Barry W

Co-Director of Outreach
Barry
Corporate Member
Thanks for reporting your experience with Fuji Spray customer support. I suppose Fuji deserves a break for celebrating Queen Victoria's birthday. I have had experience with Canadian customer support and it was good. Hope you have a better experience tomorrow!

chris_goris

Chris
Senior User
OK, so the Fuji tech support line called me at 8:30 am (I guess they could sense my aggravation). We first discussed the leaking cup issue. Unfortunately it is what it is, a poor design and they claim they have had few issues with it. As for the sticking trigger, he admitted they had one other problem similar to mine and attributed it to poorly machined parts. He is sending me all new parts to rebuild the air control valve. Hopefully, this fixes the issue once and for all. all in all, I feel they gave me great support thus far and I feel confident they will do whatever it takes to make it right. so, the saga continues. I will write more when I receive the parts.

Obxwoody

New User
Andy
I have the t75g I believe. It's the gravity fed gun. I haven't had trigger issues... At one point it was funky and I realized The back adjustment knob was too tight maybe...I'm trying to remember...but it has been fine. Is it possible you switched the order of the springs when taking things apart? That could adjust I have had leaking cup issues but the cups aren't removable on mine just the lid, and it's always been an issue of not seating the lid/gasket properly. They can get paint in there that prevents them from sealing. I've found not filling as full helps a lot for me (although that means more stopping and refilling tsk tsk) Lol my user errors caused me to go through a couple of those o-rings/gaskets the first few uses...when properly seated I haven't had those issues. I've often wondered what the removable/interchangeable cups might be like. If they are super easier for clean up, swap out, etc.

Obxwoody

New User
Andy
Oh also just thought of this after rereading your initial post, I had a similar issue as you are describing " with the trigger" for me mine was not spraying Paint from the cup or intermittent spraying due to a blockage either due to a) poor filtering on my end or b) dried up paint in the little clear tube from the lid to the gun "nipple." I cleaned everything well, and replaced that line/filter gizmo and smooth sailing again. And I filter everything that goes in there NOW except water and I should probably filter that too! I rinse it out sooner and run enough water or thinner through there until that line is clean again...Side note I do recommend the gallon filters, so much easier than the little cups....unless you are doing a tiny amount :/ hope that helps some.

chris_goris

Chris
Senior User
Oh also just thought of this after rereading your initial post, I had a similar issue as you are describing " with the trigger" for me mine was not spraying Paint from the cup or intermittent spraying due to a blockage either due to a) poor filtering on my end or b) dried up paint in the little clear tube from the lid to the gun "nipple." I cleaned everything well, and replaced that line/filter gizmo and smooth sailing again. And I filter everything that goes in there NOW except water and I should probably filter that too! I rinse it out sooner and run enough water or thinner through there until that line is clean again...Side note I do recommend the gallon filters, so much easier than the little cups....unless you are doing a tiny amount :/ hope that helps some.

Thanks Andy, but it wasnt any of those issues you described. Like I said, the tech admitted he had seen one problem (Im doubting just one, but thats my opinion) with the same problem. My guess is they switched suppliers or something and are now feeling the fall out. Its very common today.

Obxwoody

New User
Andy
Sorry, happens to the best of them sometimes...just wanted to air out my own user errors in case that helps you or anyone else!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS