Freud Box Joint Cutter SBOX8 $60 **SOLD**

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
**SOLD**

Box joint cutter set for sale, model Freud SBOX8. Used on one project, set is essentially new. Only selling it because it doesn't fit my SawStop, the blade is just a bit too large to work with the brake cartridge.

Easiest is pickup in Cary (High House & Davis), but I frequently drive to Huntersville so we can arrange a drop-off in the area there if needed. Price is firm.

Last edited:

bs7584

Brad
Corporate Member
This is a good deal for a wonderful piece of kit to make perfect box joints and I also love the dado stack you’re selling as well. I use this exact two stacks you have for sale in my SawStop all the time. I do have to use the Allen key and adjust the brake cartridge to blade distance prior to installing the dado stack when I’m switching from 10in blades to the Freud 8in stacks. Subsequently have to readjust when I go back to a 10 in saw blade. It’s a little bit of a pain to use these stacks and readjusting the SawStop but it’s worth it to me. Just wanted to let others know that these stacks can be used with SawStop.

charlessenf

(;harles
Senior User
Cheapskate that I am, I bought this set a few years back and have used it several times with excellent results. The price is almost low enough to get me to buy the set as a spare. (Nah, I'm way too tight!)

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
Bas you saying it won't fit width wise ? or ? I would think you could just adjust it out and turn off the cartridge safety feature and use it that way.

charlessenf

(;harles
Senior User
Bas you saying it won't fit width wise ? or ? I would think you could just adjust it out and turn off the cartridge safety feature and use it that way.
They make a model with a similar model number but with an 'S' appended that will work with the Saw Stop. Its on Amazon for $99 and several other vendors as well - look for the description to specifically mention SawStop compatibility.

Last edited by a moderator:

charlessenf

(;harles
Senior User
This is a good deal for a wonderful piece of kit to make perfect box joints and I also love the dado stack you’re selling as well. I use this exact two stacks you have for sale in my SawStop all the time. I do have to use the Allen key and adjust the brake cartridge to blade distance prior to installing the dado stack when I’m switching from 10in blades to the Freud 8in stacks. Subsequently have to readjust when I go back to a 10 in saw blade. It’s a little bit of a pain to use these stacks and readjusting the SawStop but it’s worth it to me. Just wanted to let others know that these stacks can be used with SawStop.
Amazon add offers an 8" dado cartridge: https://www.amazon.com/Freud-SBOX8-Box-Joint-Cutter/dp/B0C3B7ZJ63?th=1

Table Saw Brake Cartridge for 8" Dado Sets - TSDC-8R3 (Equivalent to TSDC-8R2)​

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
To provide a little more detail: The blades are 8 1/8" in diameter. The SawStop has some adjustments to account for minor differences in the diameter, but the extra 1/8" is pushing it to the max, and the resulting gap between the blade and cartridge is less than the recommended spacing.

My concerns were that the brake could fire as a result of the narrow gap. In addition, SawStop does not recommend the anti-kickback shoulders these blades (and others...) have, since they could interfere with the braking mechanism. Brad's post indicates the saw does work with these sets, so that's good news. I've invested quite a bit of money into the SawStop safety features, so I decided to simply swap out the blades. As Charles mentioned, Freud makes a set that is a true 8", and there are box cutter sets out there that would work better. For an extra $70 some NCWWer gets a good deal, and I get piece of mind. Overkill - perhaps. An added benefit is that I get to challenge the Dutch stereotype of being cheap :)

charlessenf

(;harles
Senior User
To provide a little more detail ... I get to challenge the Dutch stereotype of being cheap :)
Well, my "take it back Mom" was born in Northern Ireland and our house was covered with Buffalo turds from her squeezing the nickels and I inherited the trait to be sure. So, I went and looked it up to find one explanation online " It's often said it's a Calvinist and so Protestant thing. And it is not cheap but pennywise: Spend to the best of your knowledge."

Now, I grew up hearing "Watch your pennies - and the dollars will take care of themselves", "Pennywise and Pound Foolish" had my phone under a phony name to avoid the charge for keeping it out of the directory, would buy cars with nothing added, then add features with aftermarket/used parts (I got the cruise control added to my Tacoma for under $30 and Intermittent wipers for $29.49 + my 'free' labor, of course).

Now, I always thought we were Irish - certainly from Granny's brogue. Then I learned about the Papista and the Orangemen.

My grandfather was a well respected carpenter and craftsman who left my world before I was old enough to sweep his shop leaving me with two quotes "'tis a poor workman what blames his tools," and "I only wish I'd had more time with the wee fella."

Last edited by a moderator:

Rwe2156

DrBob
Senior User
@Bas Aside from that it also has depth limiting shoulders which is a no no, especially on a dado.

I recently read a post where someone actually triggered the brake with a shouldered blade and he got a significant injury.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS