Free antlers

llucas

luke
Senior User
Been hanging on to these for some years now. I still occasionally find more in the pastures and woods
Maybe some turners/knife makers can use them. Free to good home
PM me if interested. I am near Carrboro
IMG_0958.jpeg

SabertoothBunny

SabertoothBunny
Corporate Member
I would love to get some or all of these. I use them for casting and making pens, handles, calls, etc. PM sent.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Good thing you're giving them away. Selling them is illegal in NC. Co worker's brother was approached by an "undercover" Game Warden at a craft show where he was selling knives with antler scales on them. When ask the price, he replied, "$20 for the knife and the antler scales are free." The Game Warden left in a huff......

cliff56

cliff
Corporate Member
Good thing you're giving them away. Selling them is illegal in NC. Co worker's brother was approached by an "undercover" Game Warden at a craft show where he was selling knives with antler scales on them. When ask the price, he replied, "$20 for the knife and the antler scales are free." The Game Warden left in a huff......
Interesting I did not know this but see the reason why.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
My daughter said she buys them at the pet center to give her dog to chew on.
I think she said they are $10-15 each piece. Maybe she was going to SC. I’ll have to ask her again.

I use them for knife handles.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Taken from the Office of Administrative Hearings Rule 15A NCAC 10B .0118 for G.S. 113-291.3:

(b) The sale of lawfully acquired game birds and game animals or their parts is prohibited, except that processed non-edible products may be sold except as otherwise provided in this Rule or by statute.

The issue would be knowing how they define "processed."
From the Statues described above:
"If the Wildlife Resources Commission finds that affected game
populations would not be endangered, it may authorize the sale of heads,
antlers, horns, hides, skins, plumes, feet, and claws of one or more game
animals or birds.
Looks like this is something they may change from time to time.

"The skin of deer lawfully taken by hunting may be
possessed, transported, bought, or sold, subject to tagging and reporting
requirements and any season limits set by the Wildlife Resources
Commission."
Not sure why they would specifically say skin (pelts) is allowed to be bought & sold without including antlers. Many people find shed antlers in their woods and use them without even seeing a deer.

llucas

luke
Senior User
thanks for the interest and the info on legal or not selling wildlife parts harvesting...
Antlers now have a new home with a NCWW member who will put them to good use.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
I guess with the Game Wardens, it's all a matter of semantics. Kinda like a moonshiner selling you a quart jar for $20, and oh, by the way the liquor is free.....

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS