Frame saw build!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegSo now I can start rough shaping the handle rail and then notch the center to retain the hardware while the saw is in use

Graywolf

Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
image.jpegSo here we are, really down to shapeing the handles and the front rail as I'm back home from several days of camping and kayaking, ready to get time in the shop and enjoy seeing this tool come to life.

Graywolf

Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegI just wanted to post a few of the handles being shaped, I hit the ground running this week with kitchen installs which is good that means I can afford to do this for fun. Back to it thanks.

Graywolf

Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
IMG_1586.JPGIMG_1587.JPGIMG_1588.JPGI'm so sorry it has taken me so long to get back to this, work, family and just life in general have interrupted this build, however I have found some time to work on this

Graywolf

Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
IMG_1619.JPGIMG_1620.JPGIMG_1621.JPGAnd a little work on the front piece. I'll post more this week and hope to finish this week.

Sarah McI

New User
Sally
I just happened to be browsing by to see planes in a position they should not be in, according to my woodworker father. Planes should be put at rest on their sides, to protect and keep the blade clean.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
I just happened to be browsing by to see planes in a position they should not be in, according to my woodworker father. Planes should be put at rest on their sides, to protect and keep the blade clean.

Sorry to contradict your father, but unless you're putting your plane on a hard (very hard) metal surface you are not going to damage a blade. A metal blade resting on a wooden workbench is not going to notice it. In fact I would venture to say resting them on their side is more dangerous as they may encounter each other in that orientation. But if you choose to follow your father's advice instead of mine, I totally understand and encourage such loyalty. Just be careful what you bump into those exposed blades with, including knuckles.

Graywolf

Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
Thanks Ken, when I took industrial arts in school back in the stone age I was taught the samething and over the past fourth years I have replaced more hand planes because they were on their sides and easy to knock off of the bench. Not only that but I know what's on my bench and there is nothing ever on it that can damage the blade and I've never knock one off the bench when it setting up. However, with that said, you and your father are free to place your hand planes on your bench anyway you want as I will with mine. Peace

Graywolf

Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
IMG_1628.JPGIMG_1629.JPGIMG_1630.JPGIMG_1631.JPGA little additional shaping this afternoon, with some luck I can get a few hours this week to finish saw and I can start the other part of this set up.

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Richard, I can't wait to see this saw finished. I hope you are able to bring it to The Hardwood Store open house. I'm looking forward to seeing it.

Graywolf

Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
Thanks Bill, yes I plan on bringing it with me to the Hardwood Store. So I wonder if we can find something to cut!

Graywolf

Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
IMG_1638.JPGIMG_1639.JPGIMG_1640.JPGIMG_1641.JPGSo I was worried that the frame was going to fail on the saw, but oh no, my vise screw desided to crap out on me while I was resawing a scape piece test driving the frame saw. Oops thems the breaks. I still have some detail work to do to the frame but other than that she's up and running.

Chris C

Chris
Senior User
Sorry to contradict your father, but unless you're putting your plane on a hard (very hard) metal surface you are not going to damage a blade. A metal blade resting on a wooden workbench is not going to notice it. In fact I would venture to say resting them on their side is more dangerous as they may encounter each other in that orientation. But if you choose to follow your father's advice instead of mine, I totally understand and encourage such loyalty. Just be careful what you bump into those exposed blades with, including knuckles.

+1

Graywolf

Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
Jeff, to honestly answer your question, historically frame saws had some decrotive elements on the end away from the operator. I could have made it a two man saw and had two pairs of handles, but this saw is only three feet long so that seemed to much,or I could have left it plane Jane, but I liked the way Tom Fidgen did his and went with that. I kinda like it, if I build another later on I may do something differently only time will tell and I have other things on my list to do. This was a fun build and will follow up with the kerfing saw to go with it. I hope to get many years of use out of it, i did have a few errors like losing count on a couple of the drilled holes for the mortises so I had a couple plugs to install. I'll have it out at the anniversary for the hardwood store if you want come see it and I'll try and resaw some pieces with it.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Thanks. I was just curious. You did a really nice job shaping those decorative "gizmos" and your pics were fun to follow.. Re: Mortises...

[h=4]See no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil[/h]Creative RM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS