Frame for 42x64'ish mirror?

dazart

New User
Steve
I have a builder grade mirror from when we bought the house and I was thinking of building a frame for it. I initially thought I'd just think of it like a big picture frame but then I started wondering if I need to take into consideration the weight of the mirror. It's not quite like a picture frame that's holding a piece of paper and maybe a backing. I'm not sure if just glue and a spline would be enough to support the mirror on the bottom part of the frame.

Am I over thinking this?

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
There is a lot of weight in a mirror frame. But most of that can be carried by the hanging wire. I drive two screw eyes about 1/4 of the distance from each bottom corner into a firm footing in the bottom rail. Then one on each upper side piece about 1/3 down from the top. Tie very securely one end to one of the bottom screw eyes, then loop the wire through each or the other eyes up the side across the top then back down to the opposite bottom eye. Tie very securely there. Now the mirror is ready to hang. The wire holds the frame together and all the weight is on the bottom rail carried by the wire. Glue and splines will make good strong corners.

I used to hang 1/4 inch thick plate glass mirrors this way and never had a failure of the frame.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
There is a lot of weight in a mirror frame. But most of that can be carried by the hanging wire. I drive two screw eyes about 1/4 of the distance from each bottom corner into a firm footing in the bottom rail. Then one on each upper side piece about 1/3 down from the top. Tie very securely one end to one of the bottom screw eyes, then loop the wire through each or the other eyes up the side across the top then back down to the opposite bottom eye. Tie very securely there. Now the mirror is ready to hang. The wire holds the frame together and all the weight is on the bottom rail carried by the wire. Glue and splines will make good strong corners.

I used to hang 1/4 inch thick plate glass mirrors this way and never had a failure of the frame.
Same here.

Echd

C
User
It's probably overkill but I had the same concern when I built a new bathroom mirror frame of a large size (but not quite that large).

I have an ungodly amount of old faux wood paneling that is really just veneered 1/4" ply and I used that as a backer that flush fit into the frame and I put it up on the wall with a french cleat. It's been about 3 years and hasn't fallen yet.

mkepke

Mark
Senior User
Glue the mirror to the wall or use clips (like your builder did) then make the frame a separate piece that simply overlays the mirror.

Unless you plan on moving it regularly?

-Mark

smallboat

smallboat
Corporate Member
not to hijack this thread, but I’ve been looking at the large, unframed bathroom mirrors in my house and thinking of cutting them down and framing as smaller mirrors. Any recommendations on cutting down the large mirrors? Tips/Tools/Techniques?

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Razor blade line on back then glass cutter wheel on face, snap. The razor line keeps the paint from flaking.
Not absolutely necessary but makes a nicer edge. Of course, if going in a frame you can skip that step.
I have used Fletcher and Red Devil, Fletcher was better. Don't know what is common now.

cobraguy

Clay
Corporate Member
When we built our house, we couldn't find mirrors with frames we liked, so I built them. All good advice so far and if you decide to go that route here's another tip. Depending on your design, the edge of the mirror will reflect the backside of any rabbets you may use to enclose it in the frame. Paint the rabbet black, both surfaces. DAMHIKT

Craptastic

Matt
Corporate Member
When we built our house, we couldn't find mirrors with frames we liked, so I built them. All good advice so far and if you decide to go that route here's another tip. Depending on your design, the edge of the mirror will reflect the backside of any rabbets you may use to enclose it in the frame. Paint the rabbet black, both surfaces. DAMHIKT
HA! Looks like I'm not alone in learning that lesson.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors